You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What percent passes the USMLEI and II
Started by ronaldo23
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ha im sorry i read your question like "how many questions do you have to get right to pass the usmle when you go to school at ..." lol that would have been pretty dumb sorry for that
Um I believe allopathic is roughly 98 percent and SGU has 90%, I also think your right about DO being 74%. And all international is aroun 56%.
Um I believe allopathic is roughly 98 percent and SGU has 90%, I also think your right about DO being 74%. And all international is aroun 56%.
"St. George's University has an eight-year average pass rate of 90 percent for first-time USMLE Step One examinees, far exceeding the 65 percent average pass rate of all non-US schools during that period."
*Published, 2005 NBME Annual Report, Copyright 2006 NBME.
I got that from the SGU book they sent me with the app. Does that mean something other than what you asked for? It is possible that it does cause its just step I.
*Published, 2005 NBME Annual Report, Copyright 2006 NBME.
I got that from the SGU book they sent me with the app. Does that mean something other than what you asked for? It is possible that it does cause its just step I.
There is a reason why it is 90%+
You are not allowed to take Step 1 unless you pass internal evaluation exams. So the people that would fail will be filtered out before they take Step 1.
You are not allowed to take Step 1 unless you pass internal evaluation exams. So the people that would fail will be filtered out before they take Step 1.
There is a reason why it is 90%+
You are not allowed to take Step 1 unless you pass internal evaluation exams. So the people that would fail will be filtered out before they take Step 1.
You know, people talk about this all the time. Basically, the internal evaluation exams at Ross,at least from 2004 through mid 2005, were your Mini exams. If you had ever failed a class or had less than like a 2.9 GPA you were required to sit for a comprehensive examination at the end of 4th semester, which you needed to pass, or else you were required to go into a program called BMSI which was supposed to help you integrate all of your basic science knowledge prior to step I.
The percentage of people left behind in BMSI for any given class was definitely < 10%, ie. 90% moving on to 5th semester, and Step I. Of, course, this does not represent 90% of your original group of 250 or so at the time as you have lost others due to attrition.
At that time, Ross was quoting a 92% pass rate, which apparently was reflective of testtakers from January 2001 through December 2003. Link to that figure:http://www.rossu.edu/med/academics/faqsaboutaca_061.cfm
I am not aware of any newer stats.
St. Matthew's reported above 80% a little over a year ago, but now they're reporting 93%. The drastic increase looked bizarre to me. I know a lot of their students take some prep class that lasts for several weeks so maybe that has something to do with it.
St. Matthew's reported above 80% a little over a year ago, but now they're reporting 93%. The drastic increase looked bizarre to me. I know a lot of their students take some prep class that lasts for several weeks so maybe that has something to do with it.
They are probably just doing what MGG explained above that other Carib schools do; artificially raise pass rates by not letting everyone take the test, just those they deem most likely to pass.
.... now they're reporting 93%. The drastic increase looked bizarre to me. I know a lot of their students take some prep class that lasts for several weeks so maybe that has something to do with it.
No better proof than to experience it first hand. The review course is Kaplan, approximately 8 weeks, with 2 evaluation exams. Depending on the score, you either get the green light or you are asked to study more. Anyway, the results are obvious.
Furthermore, this type of system is no different than a US student who takes a commercial review course, including self-evaluation through the NBME services, and honestly determines his or her level of competency and preparedness. Whether the process is "artificial" or not, whatever that means, in my class, for example, everyone has taken the exam so far. To the best of my knowledge I have only heard of 3 students who failed.
BTW, 1st time pass rates for non-US/ Canadian schools is 71% according to usmle.org. Considering that many of these students were once the so called "US rejects", even 71% is a blatant contradiction of US admission process, which at best gave many of these kids a shot in dark to make it even this far.
.....At that time, Ross was quoting a 92% pass rate, which apparently was reflective of testtakers from January 2001 through December 2003. Link to that figure:http://www.rossu.edu/med/academics/faqsaboutaca_061.cfm.....
Also do not forget the students who transfer into Ross clinicals after passing the Step 1. But as far as stats are concerned, these are Ross students who passed.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K