What percentage of medical school matriculants have parents/immediate family members that are physicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adventum

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember hearing this stat floating around, can anyone source me on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Dare you to slap an anonymous poll on this thread

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd expect it to be high. At my clinical research job, of the research assistant's who have applied or are applying to medical school 3/5 of them had double doctor parents. The other 2, along with me, have no parents in medicine.

@Cornfed101 at least from my personal experience and observations, SES is the single biggest barrier/advantage to getting into medical school. I guess that's true in life in general, but it feels amplified during the application process.

@Cornfed101 at least from my personal experience and observations, SES is the single biggest barrier/advantage to getting into medical school. I guess that's true in life in general, but it feels amplified during the application process.

I always kinda thought the SES disparity made a difference, but not a huge difference... This podcast episode changed my mind. Now I fully believe I am the privileged son of a doctor.

I always kinda thought the SES disparity made a difference, but not a huge difference... This podcast episode changed my mind. Now I fully believe I am the privileged son of a doctor.

This podcast is wonderful. Particularly enjoyed the episode where he blasted into Knight-Hennessy and discussed the impact Henry Rowan had on Rowan University.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user