What post-bacc or SMP can I get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted455728

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
An SMP makes sense if you're in the 3.0 range. It doesn't make sense if you're well below 3.0. Doesn't matter how high your MCAT is with a way-below-3.0.

Your path to an MD school has to go through another 2-3 years of undergrad. If you can roll another 35 (your current 35 will expire) you may be able to apply after 2 more years, assuming a really high postbac GPA.

You'll want to consider becoming a TX/MI/LA resident, because those states' public med schools either offer academic forgiveness of the last decade, or they emphasize your last 2 years of coursework.

I guess you could look at a DO app after a full time year of undergrad, but understand that even DO schools screen on cumulative. DMU rejected me for a cumulative 2.994. You can also look at the 1-2 year masters programs at DO schools that feed you into the DO program.

Best of luck to you.

your situation is extremely rare. therefore, you need to make an exception and call the schools directly. the smp people are very easy to talk to because they want to be able to accept you and make money.

let me give you an example of something I learned by calling the schools that I would not have otherwise known. umdnj osteopathic school of medicine will replace your undergrad gpa with grad gpa after you finish the master's in a biomedical science. so you could do a 1 year master's program in bio (i'll bet there are some programs that will consider you on the mcat alone) and apply after completing it. it'll be a 2 year process. trouble is, you can't count on just one school.

I still think it's a bad idea to go to an SMP after a 2.35 GPA despite the great mcat. talk to the SMPs and take undergrad classes accordingly. you'll get your practice in getting good grades with some coursework plus you're doing as they recommend to take you.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools in particular do you think I would have a good shot at getting into their program if I called? Would umdnj consider me for their smp program if I called after applying?

I meant call the SMP programs to get advice on what you need to do to become competitive for next year. calling right now will not get you into the program now but will guide you on how to make the most out of your time & effort. This year I don't think you'd get into an SMP. you're obviously a very smart person but you should still get some As in classes before jumping into an SMP.

i'd apply to the programs that are really big like BU MAMS (180 students?) and Drexel IMS (140 students) because they are easier to get into. read the sticky up top that lists the 14 SMPs.

Which schools in particular do you think I would have a good shot at getting into their program if I called? Would umdnj consider me for their smp program if I called after applying?

You should be doing your own research. There are many threads for low gpas such as yours. I suggest for you to do the research on programs this year and apply next year. good luck

You should be doing your own research. There are many threads for low gpas such as yours. I suggest for you to do the research on programs this year and apply next year. good luck
Agreed on the beaten to death bit, but disagree on the waiting.... a 35 is too good to let expire, time is a ticking for the OP...