Quantcast

What postbac programs should I look into applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonkeyDLuffy777

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey guys,

So I need help figuring out what postbac program to apply to. I hope to be able to do a program that will allow me to boost my GPA to be competitive for applying to medical school. My cGPA is 3.1 and sGPA is 3.0. I already have all pre-reqs down, however I would need to retake about 8 science classes because I didn't do well on them. I am interested in schools in California, thus I'm interested in a program I found out about at USC, UCB and CSULA. However, I don't know if these programs are right for me, or if they are for career-changers. Furthermore, just to clarify, these programs are certificate programs and thus would allow you to apply for financial aid correct? Would you be able to receive any state grants with these programs or strictly only federal loans?

Thanks for your time.

Nikj

NigelWhiskers
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I need help figuring out what postbac program to apply to. I hope to be able to do a program that will allow me to boost my GPA to be competitive for applying to medical school. My cGPA is 3.1 and sGPA is 3.0. I already have all pre-reqs down, however I would need to retake about 8 science classes because I didn't do well on them. I am interested in schools in California, thus I'm interested in a program I found out about at USC, UCB and CSULA. However, I don't know if these programs are right for me, or if they are for career-changers. Furthermore, just to clarify, these programs are certificate programs and thus would allow you to apply for financial aid correct? Would you be able to receive any state grants with these programs or strictly only federal loans?

Thanks for your time.

What is your MCAT? Are you from California?

Your GPA is on the lower side. Your MCAT scores will change whether you go DO or MD, and it also changes where you should apply for postbachs and masters.

Just based on your GPA, you should be applying to DO masters/postbach. In California there are a couple schools, one being TouroCom.

If you give a little more information on MCAT and extracurriculars you've done, I could better guide you.

MonkeyDLuffy777

Reaction score
What is your MCAT? Are you from California?

Your GPA is on the lower side. Your MCAT scores will change whether you go DO or MD, and it also changes where you should apply for postbachs and masters.

Just based on your GPA, you should be applying to DO masters/postbach. In California there are a couple schools, one being TouroCom.

If you give a little more information on MCAT and extracurriculars you've done, I could better guide you.

Last edited:

Nikj

NigelWhiskers
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi and thank you for replying to my message. I haven't taken the MCAT yet and I plan to take it after any postbac programs I do, i.e. after raising my GPA. So far I have spent about 270 hours studying for the MCAT. I don't have any extracurriculars that I want to consider, but I will be shadowing surgeons in about a week from today. Also, yes I'm from California.
So work on getting a good MCAT score, and really beefing up those extracurriculars. You need volunteer time(clinical ideally), shadowing, research if you can swing it, and leadership roles.

Some programs help with preparing for the MCAT.

Look at this link PDF, and go to pages 18-19, they list all of the DO programs that would be useful for you. http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/cib_web_full-publication.pdf?sfvrsn=38

For MD associated programs just check the rest of this forum, but they all have higher stat requirements, and nearly all of them that are worth attending require having already taken the MCAT.

That link I posted on those pages gives the full list of programs that are associated with DO schools, including ones that have back doors into their schools.

MonkeyDLuffy777

Reaction score
So work on getting a good MCAT score, and really beefing up those extracurriculars. You need volunteer time(clinical ideally), shadowing, research if you can swing it, and leadership roles.

Some programs help with preparing for the MCAT.

Look at this link PDF, and go to pages 18-19, they list all of the DO programs that would be useful for you. http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/cib_web_full-publication.pdf?sfvrsn=38

For MD associated programs just check the rest of this forum, but they all have higher stat requirements, and nearly all of them that are worth attending require having already taken the MCAT.

That link I posted on those pages gives the full list of programs that are associated with DO schools, including ones that have back doors into their schools.

I'm late in replying to this, but want to make sure to say thank you and to tell you that I appreciate the information. I feel like gathering up all of that information took some work. I guess I got caught up with some stuff prior to this, but I'm doing my research now and I'm going to look through the information you gave, today. Thanks again.