what psych programs are ok with step in 230s.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluelamin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
im just an m3 looking for some names of programs that admit students with a step 1 in the mid 230s. i know its super early to predict cuz i havent done step 2 and havent listed my research experience. i guess i just want a sense if any high level academic ones are worth applying to in the future or am i only good for low tier and btw i have no idea what psych programs are considered low tier.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot has changed in 10 years if people are worried about matching only low tier programs with USMLE in 230s. I think the classic advice is in psych personality/fit is often better indicator of acceptance than sky high board scores. However, prestigious academic programs do fill up with people with amazing scores, research, etc. But no reason you would be excluded from those places, just make sure to not put all your eggs in that basket.

right ofc but im more interested in the names of decent mid tier psych programs just so im aware.

Members don't see this ad :)
Percentile distribution of step I score in psychiatry according to the NRMP shows 230 puts you at the 75th percentile for the last three matches. 230 will not eliminate you from almost all places.

Reactions: 2 users
Okay so here's the thing.

Your profile is so much more than your step scores in psych.

There's this weird paradox that having a 230s might eliminate you from more mid-tier programs than top tier programs. Top programs want well-rounded people who will make good psychiatrists, and get so many applicants that having 250+s do not make you special. Instead they want to find people who are genuinely interested in psych and would be a good fit in their programs.

Mid-tier programs however, tends to get less competitive applicants so they have to look "competitive" by filtering out step scores. That way they can boast that they have an average step of 230+ blah blah.

Pardon the crude analogy, but it's like people who wear brand logo to look wealthy vs the truly wealthy.

Reactions: 1 user
You're good for almost any program but not guaranteed a spot, as personality factors in more than almost anything else. Scores make you more likely to get an interview, but with most programs once you're on the trail fit becomes the most important factor.

It gets a tad bit annoying on sdn when people with above average scores ask if they're doomed only for low tier programs.

Like bruh you know your score is above average for psych. You know you're not doomed for low tier programs. Why the charades?

Reactions: 2 users
What if I go to a "high prestige" med school but get a low step score in the 220s or lower? Still passing, but definitely not considered high. Like below 50th percentile, whatever that number may be.

Some places care more about scores, some care more about personality and fit. Psych is different than other specialties when it comes to the match. Psych content is not hard to understand so most of us will understand it. However, I know plenty of "smart" folks with excellent board scores that would not be a fit for psychiatry. Have to consider emotional IQ and ability to make folks comfortable, etc. There is much more subjectivity in psych which can make or break folks. Some people have a better ability for it than others. I convey most can do it but not all can do it well. Psych has a definite art which some folks do not have or have lesser amount of.

Ouch, I'm glad I'm not the PD at Spokane. It is true that after a certain point, a good score is a good score and a great score will not excuse being a butt head. Nonetheless, we have a poor ability to detect buttheads in an interview and with virtual interviews this is unlikely to get sharper. This will have the unfortunate consequences of highlighting scores somewhat. Extracurriculars and unique life events will jump up higher, but scores still count.

It gets a tad bit annoying on sdn when people with above average scores ask if they're doomed only for low tier programs.

Like bruh you know your score is above average for psych. You know you're not doomed for low tier programs. Why the charades?
i didnt meant to come off that way. i was just asking for names of some mid tier programs.

All of them are OK with 230.

You're probably more likely to be filtered by the medical school you went to than by your step 1 score. (Unless you already go to a high prestige med school.)
damn even tho im not gonna be part of the class w/ step 1 p/f?

What programs filter by med school based on prestige? I'm confident in my application but go to a no name MD, and I would prefer not to pay for an application that won't bother to look at me because of my school name.
I don't know if it's a filter as much as more weight on that factor. I think psychiatry residencies largely try to be holistic.