what qualities do you think makes a GREAT vet and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vet4ever

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wanna know!

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, great communication skills is the biggest thing. At least people will feel like they can tell you things if your communication is great.

In no particular order:

1. Excellent interpersonal skills
2. Ability to take charge in difficult situations
3. Ability to learn through action. Book learning is of great importance, but if you cant learn by observation then you are going to be hurting (this is a skill I have gained from my animal health experience more than at any other time in my life)
4. Willingness to seek advice when answers are not clear cut
5. Lifelong desire to learn
6. Confidence in his/her abilities without overconfidence. Its a fine line.

Members don't see this ad :)
as well as the things posted above, i think willingness to teach is imperative. not necessarily teaching in the PhD, lecturing at a university type of way, but the ability to share your knowledge with those that want to learn (such as ourselves!). every vet in every field will undoubtedly come across this situation, and in my experience it is those vets take pride in teaching others that i have learned from and connected with the most.

as well as the things posted above, i think willingness to teach is imperative. not necessarily teaching in the PhD, lecturing at a university type of way, but the ability to share your knowledge with those that want to learn (such as ourselves!). every vet in every field will undoubtedly come across this situation, and in my experience it is those vets take pride in teaching others that i have learned from and connected with the most.

intersting thaught!