What questions did you ask at your int?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wake_o

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im in need of some general questions. I have a few spcific things i can ask(MSU chm), but i really dont know what to say

Members don't see this ad.

wake_o said:
Im in need of some general questions. I have a few spcific things i can ask(MSU chm), but i really dont know what to say

Ask the interviewers about their own career paths, their background. IT is interesting ,and they like talking about it.

DrKitty said:
Ask the interviewers about their own career paths, their background. IT is interesting ,and they like talking about it.

that is a very good idea, thanks a lot. i suppose i should extrapolate a bit. i'm actually a high school senior. i;m a finalist for an "md scholars" program that if i got into would automatically accept me into the chm at mich state without mcat/ applying or anything except keeping up a 3.2 gpa for my undergrad. Im interviewing with faculty and students of the chm tommorow. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is from my school to pre-med students. Some will pertain to you, but some won't:

You should have an opportunity to ask your questions at the end of each interview. In general, it is a good idea to wait until then so that your interviewer can have an opportunity to ask you all the questions that he/she needs to ask you to fully evaluate you. This is especially true for schools with structured (vs. free-flowing) interviews.

Review various school's materials to help you generate school-specific questions. Have your list of prepared questions with you in your portfolio, which will be easy to retrieve if you need to. You may also think of new, additional questions based on what you experience on the day of your visit.

Always try to ask open-ended questions vs. questions that would require a yes/no answer. Be prepared to clarify your questions as needed. Avoid multi-part questions. Keep you questions simple so they won't come across as too rehearsed.

Most importantly: Always keep in mind who the target of your question is. That is: Ask the right people the right/appropriate question! Please note that some of the questions below could be asked of multiple interviewers.

Here are some examples for you:

For Admission Officers
--In your view, what is the greatest strength of this school?
--How much flexibility is there in the coursework and in the timing of the courses?
--What's the attrition rate at this school? On what grounds have students left the school?
--If I were to be admitted, who would be my classmates? How would you describe a typical entering class (backgrounds, age, etc.)
--Have your programs for recruitment and retention of minority been successful--if applicable?
--What kind of special support services (academic, personal, etc.) would I find if I were to attend this institution?
--Which school committees tend to have some medical student representation?

For Faculty Members
--I read your mission statement. What else can you tell me about the school's philosophy and mission?
--What do you feel makes this institution unique? What do you consider to be the strengths of this program?
--What new projects or initiatives are in the works and what is driving the change?
--Which courses use PBL (problem-based learning) and how are they working out?
--What types of mentoring/advising systems exist at this school?
--What kinds of clinical opportunities are available during the pre-clinical years?
--What types of clinical sites are used for the clerkships?
--Can you describe the patient population that I will most likely have exposure to?
--What is the distribution of disease processes at these clinical sites?
--Where have your recent graduates gone, both geographically speaking and in terms of types of residencies?
--What kind of assistance will be available to me in identifying sites for residencies?
--How common is it to do rotations at other institutions or even internationally?
--How do you ensure that students obtain an adequate amount of clinical knowledge and skill prior to graduation?
--What impact has managed care, malpractice insurance, etc. had on this school?
--How does the school deal with students who are exposed to infectious diseases?

For Medical Students
--How would you describe the campus atmosphere?
--How safe is the campus environment? And the community at large?
--What type of voluntary or required community service initiatives are available?
--If you could improve something about this school, what area would you tackle first?
--What do you wish you had known prior to enrolling at this institution?
--Has any of your classmates left (transferred, dropped out…) and if so, for what reason?
--How can students evaluate the faculty?
--How responsive is the school administration to student feedback? Can you give me an example?
--How integrated are computers into the curriculum?
--What is the schedule for tests?
--How and how often are students evaluated both in the pre-clinical and the clinical years?
--What is the call schedule on the third-year rotations?
--If I were to enroll here, what words of wisdom would you have for me to help me succeed?

thanks happydays, i think i might have to remember some of those questions

does anyone have any other advice for the interview?

happydays said:
This is from my school to pre-med students. Some will pertain to you, but some won't: ...

That list is KICK ASS! Thanks!

B-to-the-IZZUMP!

I'm printing your post and sticking it in my portfolio for next year.

well im glad others are in the same boat(ish) of not knowing what to ask as me

"Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"
Accepted the very next day. ;)

Rafa said:
I'm printing your post and sticking it in my portfolio for next year.

What is this portfolio you speak of?

happydays said:
This is from my school to pre-med students. Some will pertain to you, but some won't:
For Faculty Members

--What do you feel makes this institution unique? What do you consider to be the strengths of this program?

Please, don't ask "what do you feel makes this institution unique?" Maybe it is my pickiness about language but to be able to say what is unique about a school, one must know the characteristics of all schools. Ask about strengths, ask "what is this school's best kept secret?" ask "what would you change here?"

Last season I had 3 applicants in a row cock their heads to the side and ask "what makes this school unique?" when I asked if they had any questions. It is such a throw away question.

Ask if there are opportunities for students to do research and which areas are strongest for student participation. This works at both the undergrad & med school.

Great list... some of those questions are excellent. Thank you!