What questions should I ask during the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndang

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first interview this Friday with Baylor and another on Monday with UTSA and I am a nervous wreck right now. People always tell me to ask questions but I really don't have any questions to ask. I really like UTSA and just want to get accepted at this point but what are some of the questions I should ask to let them know that I'm interested?

Members don't see this ad.

How easy is it to find patients?
Does everyone get their own chair/work area?
How often per week will you work on patients?
When do students start working on patients?
(To a faculty member) Why do you enjoy teaching here?
How demanding do you believe the course load is?

ohhh.. I had my interview with Baylor yesterday and I have the one with San Antonio on the 20th (side note: have you heard from Houston? They keep telling me my application is in review).

Anyway, you should definitely have questions to ask at Baylor. I asked about the attrition rate, performance of students on the boards, how do students deal with frustrated patients who are upset with the amount of time they're taking, etc. Make sure that you don't ask ALL your questions to just one of the interviewers. I did that, and when another asked me if I had any questions, I didn't have anything to say.

Don't stress too much about the interview though. Everyone is really warm and friendly at Baylor. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
when did u guys apply? I haven't heard back from SA, but I already had interview with Houston. I called UTSA and they told me it is under review! Ugh.... I want it NOW!

I asked what do students struggle the most with, and if they have troubles in some class how easy is to get help. I don't know, we just talked, and before you knew it an hour was up.

Thanks, StreetWolf! I used one of your questions on my interviews (UTSA and Baylor) but I found that I didn't have enough time to ask many questions. I really enjoyed the interviews and I especially enjoyed the one at Baylor. The interviewers were all very nice and the only question that I was asked by all of them were the obvious: "why dentistry?"

Oh...I haven't heard from Houston either which is ridiculous because I live in Houston. Bummer!

I have trouble coming up with questions as well. Mainly because I did extensive research on the schools before applying. So I've already know all I need to know before applying there. During the tour around the schools that comes with the interview, the other students asked questions, and usually don't have too many. And you know something, most of the answers to every freakin questions they asked can be found online. I've concluded that those students either are really lazy and didn't know much about the school, or they are kiss-ups.

During one of my interview session, one of the student keeps asking the tour guide all sort of questions. He asked him "how many students are in a class?"
"what's the percentage of students matching residency after graduation?", "What sort of classes are included in the curriculum?".

One might think that the student is really interested in the school, but to me, he just sounds lazy and unprepared.

Do you always leave your flys open when you interview people?

(just imagine you sit opposing the interviewer on a job interview and trying hard not to smirk and wondering should I let him know? Did I forget mine?)

maybe ask them "how do you prepare your students for the business aspect of dentistry?