Is it okay to ask a school what to do to improve your application to get off the waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teethman9

Reaction score
I was waitlisted to the 3 schools I interviewed at and was wondering if I can email a school to figure out what to improve to increase my chances off the waitlist. Has anyone ever done this? Does this look bad to do?

Members don't see this ad.

I was waitlisted to the 3 schools I interviewed at and was wondering if I can email a school to figure out what to improve to increase my chances off the waitlist. Has anyone ever done this? Does this look bad to do?
I don't think they will give you application advice while you still have an active application going on.
Most dental schools will be having another round of interviews in early spring, and while you could get in from a WL position before that, they may also wait until their 2nd batch of interviews is done before acting on their WL.

Reactions: 1 user
If you were waitlisted around this time in the application cycle, I think you have a good chance of getting off the waitlist sometime in spring.

I think you should focus on the interviews that might come later in the cycle.

How are your interview skills? Perhaps you should focus on sharpening your interview skills?

Members don't see this ad :)
The unofficial 3-interviews = 1 doctor may apply here, so I agree you may not be able to do anything to get off the waitlist to get an acceptance. That said, you probably are still in the alternate pool, and by next month, there may be fewer people in the pool with you (those that are added with you probably got interviewed in January/February). Some others may also have dropped their spots in a month.

So, trust the process. Relax. Stay focused on the task ahead if you have interviews coming up.

If you were waitlisted around this time in the application cycle, I think you have a good chance of getting off the waitlist sometime in spring.

How are your interview skills? Perhaps you should focus on sharpening your interview skills?
Do you think working as a dental lab tech will make me look more competitive?

I think my interview skills aren't bad. My interviewers seemed to like me unless they were just being nice lol

Do you think working as a dental lab tech will make me look more competitive?
I haven't worked as a dental lab tech, but I think it will help..? I am not too sure because I do not know well enough.

I think my interview skills aren't bad. My interviewers seemed to like me unless they were just being nice lol
Okay. Good to hear you're confident with your interview skills. Do you happen to feel less confident about any part of your application? Why do you think you received 3 waitlists instead of 3 acceptances?

Okay. Good to hear you're confident with your interview skills. Do you happen to feel less confident about any part of your application? Why do you think you received 3 waitlists instead of 3 acceptances?
I have a 3.23 overall GPA and a 3.1 sGPA. 21 AA, 23 PAT, 21TS. 350 shadow hours, 100+ volunteer hours, 6 good LORs, was in a frat and pre dental honor society at my school. I honestly think its my GPA or volunteer work? It can be my interview skills if its not that honestly.

I have a 3.23 overall GPA and a 3.1 sGPA. 21 AA, 23 PAT, 21TS. 350 shadow hours, 100+ volunteer hours, 6 good LORs, was in a frat and pre dental honor society at my school. I honestly think its my GPA or volunteer work? It can be my interview skills if its not that honestly.
It looks like you tried your best. Trust the process...

the schools give interviews to those that they think are worthy of spots in their school
it's likely your interview
or your interview score was the same as people with higher stats
either way, trust the process...

I need advice on what to do next. I am taking these waitlists as rejections, so I don't stay content with my application and improve it just in case I have to reapply next cycle. I currently work as a quality control technician (I test collagen dental membranes). I work full time, so I don't have time for any shadowing. Do you think quitting my job and becoming a Dental lab tech will be benefit me more for next cycle? I am taking a $7/hr. pay cut if I take the dental lab tech job. I also plan on doing as much volunteering as possible on the weekends. I also plan on sending letters of intent/interest to these schools. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
the schools give interviews to those that they think are worthy of spots in their school
it's likely your interview
or your interview score was the same as people with higher stats
either way, trust the process...
I see you have said "trust the process" many times. May I ask, what does it mean exactly? Does it mean the process is usually very well-tuned and trustworthy and will almost always yield a fair outcome? Does it mean most of the time the worries or the questions an applicant has are unnecessary and the outcome will almost always be better than they feared? How would an applicant gain comfort or reassurance by "trusting the process?" Is there anyway an applicant can learn more about the process to have a better trust in it? Thank you.

I see you have said "trust the process" many times. May I ask, what does it mean exactly? Does it mean the process is usually very well-tuned and trustworthy and will almost always yield a fair outcome? Does it mean most of the time the worries or the questions an applicant has are unnecessary and the outcome will almost always be better than they feared? How would an applicant gain comfort or reassurance by "trusting the process?" Is there anyway an applicant can learn more about the process to have a better trust in it? Thank you.
"trust the process" means exactly that, TRUST THE PROCESS
the dental school acceptance process is years/decades old
it "usually" works out as designed
and "exceptional cases" are just that, EXCEPTIONAL
you have done all the work, and can only wait and see the results
asking what letter their last name starts with, when they interviewed, what their stats are changes nothing
it's not about "fair outcome" or "better than they feared" or "comfort or reassurance"
it's about having faith that the system works as designed, and there is NOTHING you can do to change it

so, go for a walk, work out, have a good meal, sleep, binge netflix, find a new hobby
ANYTHING but obsessively checking your email/AADSAS (and school) portals/ (and ESPECIALLY) SDN

Reactions: 2 users
"trust the process" means exactly that, TRUST THE PROCESS
the dental school acceptance process is years/decades old
it "usually" works out as designed
and "exceptional cases" are just that, EXCEPTIONAL
you have done all the work, and can only wait and see the results
asking what letter their last name starts with, when they interviewed, what their stats are changes nothing
it's not about "fair outcome" or "better than they feared" or "comfort or reassurance"
it's about having faith that the system works as designed, and there is NOTHING you can do to change it

so, go for a walk, work out, have a good meal, sleep, binge netflix, find a new hobby
ANYTHING but obsessively checking your email/AADSAS (and school) portals/ (and ESPECIALLY) SDN
Thank you.

you can generally pick up on how interviewers feel about you with the types of questions they ask you I feel like.

What are some questions they ask that make you feel like they would like you?
Mine started to ask me about my hobbies and what I did for fun. Instead of asking about why I wanted to go to dental school or what made me fit for their school they went off tangents and started asking about me as a person, what I liked to do for enjoyment, hobbies, etc. My research was a big conversation starter since I have a lot of hours and that was a big portion of my app. Sometimes it can be hard to tell but I knew the interviews were going well when the conversation flowed and it wasn’t like a start and stop where they asked questions, I answered, and it was repeated.

Some interview formats are like that though, UMNs format is very one sided where they asked you questions and you answer but besides that, the other schools were just very conversational after breaking the ice. You can kinda feel a level of comfort in the interview and connect with them. Hope that makes sense!

The question is imperative before or after the cycle is complete.