What research are you doing for the summer?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by exigente chica, Jul 15, 2002.

1. exigente chica

I was wondering what research everyone is doing this summer?

I'm working on some reproductive endocrinology!:rolleyes:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Development of thalamocortical axons. :D

4. Gradient Echo

Gradient Echo Banned
    Banned

using interventional MRI procedures to aid in localized drug delivery in the prostate

5. jot

jot

neuropathic pain modeling

6. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

I'm shimming an MRI magnet - trying to improve the main field homogeniety. Doing lots of field plots. Ugh.

Anybody wanna trade projects? :)

7. Gradient Echo

Gradient Echo Banned
    Banned

ahh yes, fun stuff. Some of the stuff I do involves RF coil design.

Field homogeneity is important though, we noticed on one of our magnets needs to be reshimmed (lots of artifacts on our images) - maybe i'll talk to my boss and he'll hire you :)

8. wgu

wgu Senior Member

immunoassays development

9. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

The guy I work for does almost all coil design... I'm fairly convinced he is a genius.

And I know the work I do is important. But it is important in the same way that garbagemen are important - you sure notice if they aren't doing their job, but it doesn't require much skill or thought. ;) I want to do actual research, not plotting a magnetic field over and over and over again... :)

10. Gradient Echo

Gradient Echo Banned
    Banned

Yeah I know what you mean...i've done stuff similar to that (no shimming though) before.

you're reapplying this year right? you still want to work in MRI or try something else?

11. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member

I'm studying neuromodulation of Aplysia sensory neuron axons at UT-Houston Med School.

12. Fixed Gear

Fixed Gear Highly Acetylated Locus

looking for the gene responsible for the wrinklefree (wrfr -/-) genotype, the mouse equivalent of restrictive dermopathy

13. longhorn

longhorn Banned
    Banned

Workin' to eludicade the mechanism by with HDAC inhibtors (tumor supression drugs) cause celle cycle arrest and apoptosis in lymhpoma cell lines. I love it!!!

14. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I'm reapplying. I don't know where I will end up for my PhD, but my work next year (after I get through this horrible summer) will be on cardiac MRI. Differentiating between reversible and irreversible damage done during an MI. I think it will be interesting. :)

15. Bikini Princess

fyi - there's been a few threads in MSTP like this.
    I'm doing cell cycle control research, trying to express regulatory human proteins in baculovirus and bacteria.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    I'm working on determining which proteins are transcribed in neurons (PC12 cells and DRGs) in response to neurotrophins (2 different pathways here, one for differentiation, one for survival).

The lab I'm in is also working out what contributes to mRNA maintainance in axons (these respond to axonal damage), which mRNAs these are, and what a ribosomal subunit (L4) is doing down there exactly.

I'll be in this lab till Fall 2003 if all goes well.

18. sluox

Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    I am doing research on how to get laid fast and easy. :cool:

19. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm working in a neuro lab that does axon guidance in the developing fruit fly. Very cool stuff, and very new for someone with no neuro experience whatsoever. Who knows, I might even end up a neurobiologist :)

Adam

20. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member

Not to far off, care to elaborate?

I'm also studying pain. Mostly MRI. I'm in two projects now, getting the MRI experiments setup for t hermal and electrical p ain. and then we're looking at cancer pain. Inject cancer cells in rat and measure thresholds.

But, what exactly are you MODELING jot? like, numerical, modeling, and predicting and such? ( i think of modeling as something witha l ot of math and a computer and usually predicting something).

Sonya

21. jot

jot

howdy - perhaps thats was misleading, i'm a computational person as well and the same thing comes to mind when i say modeling.

we surgically perform ligations of the T5 and T6 spinal nerves of rats - which puts them into a allodynic pain states (hyper sensitivity). this, was found to be analogous to the chronic pain state - so what we do then is collect sections of their dorsal root ganglions (drg's) and load 'em up on affymetrix gene chips. compared to a sham animal and ipsilateral and contralateral sections of the drg, we can see general patterns of specific and classes of genes (out of about 10,000 on the chip) that are up or down regulated to some great degree (something arbitrary like 2-fold). then further research can be done on the expression patterns of these genes by using quantitative taq-man, QRT-PCR, westerns, and immunostaining. we've found that the chronic pain state has a pathology analogous to a neurodegenerative disease. if you like what you read stay tuned for the real deal in j.neuro soon ...;)

ok - that was probably a lot more than you asked for - but thats that. more of a molecular approach. as a computational biologist, i've been seperately trying to simulate (on a computer) some of the conditions of the pain state on a global level with some of the cool powerful computers we have here, but its quite a bit beyond me. i just visited the imaging research area in merck and they have some new semi-secret fancy schmancy toy that can do some amazing stuff with resolution/real time analysis and precision imaging. anyway - enough out of me. cheers.
    -jot

22. jot

jot

oh thats awesome adam - that stuff really piqued my attention when i first learned about it - thats the sort of stuff that mark tessier does right? corey goodman is his mammalian counterpart?

23. exigente chica

Everyone seems to be keeping busy doing some great research this summer:clap: What a talented group.

24. dark_scientist

Resident [Any Field]
    Comparing the growth and morphogenesis of normal, hyperplastic, and tumor cells from Wnt1-transgenic mice in tissue culture, in order to evaluate the efficacy of a potential tumor-specific marker and potent inhibitor of Wnt1 signaling.

SSK

25. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I take it Adam's working with Larry Zipursky. Very nice lab... :D

26. Rumit

Rumit Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yep, right on! :)

Adam

27. exigente chica

ok, a little more substance now:

I am looking at the tentative role of the disulfide bridge betwen Cys14 and Cys199 in rat GNRH receptor activation and ligand selectivity.

;)