What resources to use when applying for IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillingpanda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming OMS4. 215-220 step1. Step 2: TBD. I plan on applying to 80-100 programs due to my low score, but how do I gauge which programs to apply to where I have a shot? I have been recommended residency explorer, but I am unsure how to utilize it. Do I apply to all the programs in FL (Home state) and the states around it? Since it seems like interviews are being sent based on the regional bias from what I have been reading. A few questions I have utilizing residency explorer are: Do I apply to programs where my step 1 is below the 25%, or if there's a low % of DOs in the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Moved to DO side.

You should use FREIDA and residency explorer and base it off your stats to see how you fit based on the accepted residents to that program.

Your S1 score should be near where other residents are AND where there is a decent amount of DO's in each class. If there are no DO's for each class year your chances to be interviewed and ranked are much lower, even with a higher S1.

There is regional bias, particular at smaller community programs where the goal is to train residents who will potentially stay on as staff.

Reactions: 1 user
Moved to DO side.

You should use FREIDA and residency explorer and base it off your stats to see how you fit based on the accepted residents to that program.

Your S1 score should be near where other residents are AND where there is a decent amount of DO's in each class. If there are no DO's for each class year your chances to be interviewed and ranked are much lower, even with a higher S1.

There is regional bias, particular at smaller community programs where the goal is to train residents who will potentially stay on as staff.
This is very true. I am a DO and some of the academic programs with all USMDs I applied to I had 20+ points higher Step scores than the avg for their program and was rejected (RWJ cough cough lmao). Its sad but true

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming OMS4. 215-220 step1. Step 2: TBD. I plan on applying to 80-100 programs due to my low score, but how do I gauge which programs to apply to where I have a shot? I have been recommended residency explorer, but I am unsure how to utilize it. Do I apply to all the programs in FL (Home state) and the states around it? Since it seems like interviews are being sent based on the regional bias from what I have been reading. A few questions I have utilizing residency explorer are: Do I apply to programs where my step 1 is below the 25%, or if there's a low % of DOs in the program?

I would apply where you want to apply. Obviously Mayo and those types of places are probably out, but if your step two score is a significant improvement, you might be surprised which places will send you interview invitations.

Moved to DO side.

about regional bias, are we talking where you went to med school or hometown? I grew up in the west coast but go to med school in the midwest for example, although I haven't had luck securing any aways close to my hometown.

about regional bias, are we talking where you went to med school or hometown? I grew up in the west coast but go to med school in the midwest for example, although I haven't had luck securing any aways close to my hometown.
Mainly hometown, if you're from the west coast and then interview at smaller community programs there it's more believable to say "I want to be here cuz I will be closer to family". But you can always make the argument for saying its a better fit, more affordable, so regional bias isn't an end all be all type of thing.