What schools am I missing? I used the US News book to make my list of schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask this question is since schools like Drew University in Califorina isn't even listed in the US News book (although they are affiliated with UCLA). So, I wonder what other schools I'm missing...given my stats. Any suggestions?
Overall 3.42
BCPM 3.82
MCAT Not yet....assume 28-30

My current list is:
Albany Medical College
Drexel University, College of Medicine
New Jersey Medical School (UMDNJ)
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University, School of Medicine
Temple University
Tufts University

Temple is in there since they state that they look favorably towards non trads (as I am...a physical therapist for 10+ yrs....but their non Pensylvania resident acceptance rate is only at 3.8%!).

I don't have a "in state" status...I live in Hawaii and will not be applying to the med school here.

Your inputs on what additional schools I may apply to with a reasonable chance of obtaining an interview/acceptance will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

well i think you should apply to hawaii because it is likely your best shot....

how about U Illinois Chicago
Loyola Chicago
U Indiana
Penn State
Drexel

i would apply broadly if i was in your shoues ~18 schools

Actually, I'm not a Hawaii resident either! The med school here has a very strict residency requirement which I don't meet to qualify as a Hawaii resident. So, in essence I have no state residency.
Thanks for your input. I'm going to take a look at them online.

Members don't see this ad :)
The process is so so random too, I'd add one or two "reach" schools to your list. I know Yale and some other schools really like people who have been out of school for a while.

Two things:

1) For what it's worth, I did a comparison of instate and out-of-state acceptance rates. If a school's OOS acceptance rate was 3 times lower or more, then I did not bother applying.

2) Check out http://www.studentdoc.com/medfind.html. It will weigh your presumed MCAT and gpa up against all schools and give you at least an idea of your chances. It's not 100% reliable, but it's a start and a fun way to see where you might be competitive. Whatever you do, apply very early!

I would consider adding some of the SUNY schools, some of the state schools in Ohio and New Jersey and probably EVMS and VCU. Those schools are favorable to OOS students, all except the VA schools will let you get in-state tuition at some point and most are non-trad friendly.

Actually, I'm not a Hawaii resident either! The med school here has a very strict residency requirement which I don't meet to qualify as a Hawaii resident. So, in essence I have no state residency.
Thanks for your input. I'm going to take a look at them online.
Still apply to Hawaii. It would be cheap since you're living there and they do weigh that you're living there currently even though you don't qualify for official residency.

Still apply to Hawaii. It would be cheap since you're living there and they do weigh that you're living there currently even though you don't qualify for official residency.

Right, especially since for a school like Hawaii, I'm sure they get tons of random applicants just due to the location, and not because of any actual ties to the area (which you have). I'd also second the suggestion to apply to more schools.

GWU has numbers similar to yours and loves non-trads - definitely give it a shot.

Only apply there if you want to go there (I know of a Hawaii resident who didn't want to go there), because it looks bad to reject an acceptance if you have to re-apply the next year.

BTW, the Charles R Drew University in LA probably is not listed because it lost its accreditation in 2006 due to... all kinds of issues with stadards of training and care in the residency programs and affiliated hospital (I'm not sure of the details, though).
I would imagine the US news, etc books are complete with regards to accredited schools.

BTW, the Charles R Drew University in LA probably is not listed because it lost its accreditation in 2006 due to... all kinds of issues with stadards of training and care in the residency programs and affiliated hospital (I'm not sure of the details, though).
I would imagine the US news, etc books are complete with regards to accredited schools.

No, the hospital lost its federal funding due to problems in patient care. The school did not lose its accredation.

Its not listed because its a sub program of UCLA. You do your first 2 years with UCLA students and only during your third and fourth year do you separate.

Good grief look things up before you speak. And the program is still in existence despite the hospital's current problems.

MCAT Not yet....assume 28-30

Nothing is assumed. Until you take it, you have a zero. Some folks do well on the MCAT, others choke when faced with the real thing. And a 28 is a huge difference than a 30. If you are scoring in this range on practice tests, I would be inclined to wait until you are consistently breaking 30, rather then assume a possible 28.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, thanks so much for all your inputs!
I'm definitely going to look at all the schools mentioned in this thread.
What are the general stats for Charles Drew matriculants? ....Oh, I'll just do the research online. I haven't taken any practice MCATs. So, I have no idea what my score will be. I've gotten 96% or better in all of my Bio/Chem/Ochem/physics overall grade. But, I have a huge problem with VR. So, I've figured PS 11, BS 10-11 and VR 7. Yeah, very lopsided. I know. But what am I to do.....English isn't my strong area.

What are the general stats for Charles Drew matriculants? ....Oh, I'll just do the research online. I haven't taken any practice MCATs. So, I have no idea what my score will be. I've gotten 96% or better in all of my Bio/Chem/Ochem/physics overall grade. But, I have a huge problem with VR. So, I've figured PS 11, BS 10-11 and VR 7. Yeah, very lopsided. I know. But what am I to do.....English isn't my strong area.

Without even taking a practice MCAT, you really can't even speculate... The MCAT is like nothing you've ever experienced. At this point, I'd plan on applying very broadly.

If you've never taken a practice test, you have no grounds for guessing your potential score. Half of the MCAT (in the very least) is strategy/endurance/test-taking skill, and since most of the questions are based on passages, those with a weakness in English or critical reading often encounter greater difficulties even in the science sections. Plus, many schools put the greatest emphasis on Verbal Reasoning out of all the sections.

In short, don't bother even considering your school list until you've seriously prepared for (and take) the MCAT.

FYI, 1/2 our class is OOS

Good luck applying...

You might want to consider to Penn state also, I think they take a large amount of students from OOS also

If you've never taken a practice test, you have no grounds for guessing your potential score. Half of the MCAT (in the very least) is strategy/endurance/test-taking skill, and since most of the questions are based on passages, those with a weakness in English or critical reading often encounter greater difficulties even in the science sections. Plus, many schools put the greatest emphasis on Verbal Reasoning out of all the sections.

In short, don't bother even considering your school list until you've seriously prepared for (and take) the MCAT.

Seriously, take a practice test at least man. The MCAT is a game and your performance is based on the rules of that game, not how you did in your prereqs (though obviously having a strong understanding is beneficial) nor how you have done on other standardized tests. I know many a brilliant person who choked for one reason or another when they took their MCAT. Once you've actually gotten a feel for how you may do via some practice tests buy a MSAR and browse thru that. It has all the accredited schools and the stats of their students, weather they take OOS applicants etc. But without a clue of how you will do on the MCAT making a list of schools is rather pointless.

Take a practice test first and see where you fall.

I'll give you credit though for at least having a conservative/realistic estimate instead of all these people penciling themselves in for 38's. :thumbup:

OHSU might be a good option for you. I've heard that they like Non-trads. They also seem to take a decent amount of OOS applicants.

By the way, where are you living in Hawaii? I'm just curious cause I live in Hawaii too.

You don't have a state of residency? Are you not from the United States? Do what you can to secure a state of residency. It will make things much easier.

No, the hospital lost its federal funding due to problems in patient care. The school did not lose its accredation.

Its not listed because its a sub program of UCLA. You do your first 2 years with UCLA students and only during your third and fourth year do you separate.

Good grief look things up before you speak. And the program is still in existence despite the hospital's current problems.

Oops, sorry! I did do some quick lunch break research but I shouldn't have posted without being sure. Good to know. :)

Don't forget. Some schools like Ohio State have a high MCAT/GPA 3.7 and 32 MCAT which is close to UC Irvine and Davis. So applying there isn't a gurantee

I live in Oahu.....in Kahala to be exact.
In terms of the comment made by another poster suggesting I obtain a state residency is that, I grew up in California but moved here to Hawaii about 3 years ago. I am a resident of Hawaii for tax purposes and tuition purposes at University of Hawaii. But, the med school has a very strict criteria which in order for the applicant to be considered a resident during the med school application process one must meet 3 of the 7 criteria. I only have 2 of the 7. They accept 6 out of state applicants every year. And I've heard from many people that those people have the stats that'd get them in to the California med schools. So, I'm not even going to bother with Univ. Hawaii med school. Plus, Univ. Hawaii med school has PBL which I'm not a big fan of. Actually, the only reason I'd attend a PBL school is if I had no other choice.
OHSU might be a good option for you. I've heard that they like Non-trads. They also seem to take a decent amount of OOS applicants.

By the way, where are you living in Hawaii? I'm just curious cause I live in Hawaii too.

I am just going to second what others have said. Apply broadly, you have a lower than average overall gpa and a high bcpm and probably a lower than average mcat. So you want to apply to at least 15 schools.

Also make sure these schools are 1) places you will attend if faced with an acceptance to only that school and 2) places you have a realistic shot at getting accepted.

well i think you should apply to hawaii because it is likely your best shot....

how about U Illinois Chicago
Loyola Chicago
U Indiana
Penn State
Drexel

i would apply broadly if i was in your shoues ~18 schools

Indiana U won't look at you unless you have in-state residency or have a serious connection to the state.

Some private schools that everyone applies to and are within most people's range:
Drexel
St. Louis U
Tulane
MCW
George Wash
Georgetown
Loyola
Boston U
Tufts
NYMC
Jefferson
UMiami

Some state schools that might look at you favorably are:
Penn State
U of Illinois
Wayne St. (about 70-80 out of state kids in the class this year)
Ohio St.
U of Cincinatti

I think you have absolutely no chance with your stats on the west coast.

Don't forget. Some schools like Ohio State have a high MCAT/GPA 3.7 and 32 MCAT which is close to UC Irvine and Davis. So applying there isn't a gurantee

I'm assuming you thought OHSU refered to Ohio State here...

OHSU = Oregon Health and Science University :thumbup:

And Oregon does not accept a lot of out of state students unless they are from Montana or Wyoming (since those states don't have med schools and OHSU is their "in-state school") so the 30% OOS rate is very deceptive here. Same goes for U Wash

Well, thanks to all your replies, I've expanded my list of schools to apply to:
Albany Medical College
Boston U
Drexel University
George Washington U
Loyola Chicago
New Jersey Medical School (UMDNJ)
New York Medical College
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin University
St. Louis U
SUNY-Buffalo
SUNY-Syracuse
Temple University
Tufts University
Tulane
Wayne St.
U of Cincinnati

The ones suggested but not chosen were due to the fact that they had prereq requirements I don't meet or had a tuition rate of 50K for OOS students. Someone suggested schools like Yale. Yikes! Hmm...what's another $50 for an additional school....just to roll the dice? hahaha....or to give the admissions committee at Yale a good laugh? Anyway, along with 8 DO schools, 3 of which really interest me, I think I have enough schools.

If you have any more suggestions, please send them this way!

The ones suggested but not chosen were due to the fact that they had prereq requirements I don't meet or had a tuition rate of 50K for OOS students. Someone suggested schools like Yale. Yikes! Hmm...what's another $50 for an additional school....just to roll the dice? hahaha....or to give the admissions committee at Yale a good laugh? Anyway, along with 8 DO schools, 3 of which really interest me, I think I have enough schools.

If you have any more suggestions, please send them this way!
I think you're wasting your money if the other 5 don't interest you at all. Maybe you should keep the three you like, and choose one as a backup.

I'm assuming you thought OHSU refered to Ohio State here...

OHSU = Oregon Health and Science University :thumbup:

And Oregon does not accept a lot of out of state students unless they are from Montana or Wyoming (since those states don't have med schools and OHSU is their "in-state school") so the 30% OOS rate is very deceptive here. Same goes for U Wash

I beg to differ. I think you may be confusing UW with OHSU. These two are very different in their preference for instate applicants. I believe about 2/3's of OHSU interviewees are from OOS. They told me once you get an interview there is no state patronage, rather instate status only helps you get to the interview. UW on the other hand is another story. UW is practically impossible to get into as an OOS applicant.

Also I believe the 30% number is the amount matriculated and not accepted. I will almost garauntee you that the amount of OOS apps accepted is much higher than the matriculated (this is simply because most of them receive better offers financially).

ok why does this guy get tons of advice, but no one replies with anything useful to my thread on where i should apply. you people are crap, man.

I beg to differ. I think you may be confusing UW with OHSU. These two are very different in their preference for instate applicants. I believe about 2/3's of OHSU interviewees are from OOS. They told me once you get an interview there is no state patronage, rather instate status only helps you get to the interview. UW on the other hand is another story. UW is practically impossible to get into as an OOS applicant.

Tru dat, cuz