What schools do MD/PhD applicants come from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted728364

I remember seeing Lucca's post on the representation of undergrads among MD/PhD programs, and many MSTPs had a great majority of matriculants from top universities. The "optimistic" explanation is that there are simply far more "good/acceptable" MD/PhD applicants from top schools, so there's a sort of sample bias as opposed to preference for elite undergrads at these programs. I was wondering if any data on what schools applicants come from is available. I doubt it's available, but it would be cool to see how school ranking corresponds to applicants' rsrch hours and stats

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It is much broader than you think, and it has become broader thanks to the frequent use of the NIH Post-bac mechanism. The key aspect is the quality and extent of research experiences. The pool of institutions that are able to provide such intensive research experiences is relatively small as compare to the large group of undergraduate colleges and universities.

Reactions: 4 users