Medical What schools should I apply to with Low GPA/High MCAT as Texas resident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! As a TX resident (ORM), I was wondering how I should go about making my list with these stats. Should I apply to any out of state and if so, at what level?
Undergrad: Top 15 private school
AMCAS cGPA/sGPA: 3.65/3.5 (strong upward trend)
TMDSAS: 3.77/3.65
MCAT: 521 (first try)
Research: Clinical lab (750 hours)= 1 mid tier pub; 4 abstracts; extensive clincial exposure
Health policy= 200 hours (2 abstracts)
Shadowing: 60 across various specialties
Jobs: Policy Institute Research Assitant (300 includes projected)
Tour Guide/ School Ambassador
Leadership: high level leadership positions in student gov (since 1st year); very involved in health advocacy club on campus as well = over 1000 hours; intramural sports (captain)
LOR: committee letter, but i've worked with the people writing my letters in leadership roles so I know they're going to be good. i've also had all my recommenders write letters for me for other stuff, which I've been able to read, so I know they're good
Volunteering: 400 hours (church (since HS) and women's resource center)
Unique perspective: policy major and a lot of my focus in undergrad has been on health policy so i've learned to thing problems in more of an analytical way than i learned in my pure hard science classes (don't know if this helps)
Hopefully you had a chance to talk with admissions recruiters at the AAMC Virtual Fair.

I know you are trying to retain your privacy, but other than being a policy major, nothing you have put down really stands out to me when it comes to suggesting any OOS schools. To play the percentages, you need to get an MSAR and find out which schools would be Texas-friendly. Enough schools know that they are wasting resources trying to interview many Texas applicants if they are strong enough to stay in-state; it's too much of a price difference to convince most Texas OOS students. So networking and reaching out through your health policy network to identify schools that might be a little more willing would be important to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.