what sequence of prereqs should i take and when

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vince411

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on what pre-reqs to take and when as a part-time student? Is it important to take chemistry before biology? My college offers both a biology and a chemistry "prepatory" 100 level courses for students with limited science background which are listed as pre-reqs to the gen chm/gen bio courses. Are those necessary or should I jump right into gen chms/gen bios etcs? I don't have a science background but will be finishing up college algebra this semester.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have no science background and are just taking college algebra, then the prep courses are probably a good idea. They won't be requirements for med school, but best to get the fundamentals mastered before anything else. Weak math skills have been the undoing of many.

As to sequence, you should start the chem sequence as son as feasable, because that's the longest one (2 semesters of gen chem, then 2 semesters of orgo, then 1 semester of biochem) and each step is typically the pre-req for the next. If you're taking more than 1 class at a time, then you can do a bio, psych/soc or physics class alongside any of these.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure how rigorous your school's Bio program is, but I had no trouble just jumping right in after a long layoff from school. I'm planning on doing the same thing with Chemistry, but I have already invested in some basic Physics books to see where I need to be before I start those classes. I'd ask around, and see if you can find a professor that isn't notorious for failing half the class and go from there.