You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What set you apart from other applicants?
Started by kedrin
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think it's my 6th finger. I got a lot questions about that, especially pertaining to aspirations in surgery. Who knew polydactyly would give me such an edge?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm Jewish. Oh wait, that just makes me part of the big-nosed crowd. ;^)
I think it's my 6th finger. I got a lot questions about that, especially pertaining to aspirations in surgery. Who knew polydactyly would give me such an edge?
wait, seriously? that is so cool!
Rural upbringing and ideas that I had concerning rural health care. I go to school in Kansas, which is mostly rural.
My 6000+ hours of clinical experience (I know that's not rare on SDN, but it surprises most of the adcoms I've spoken with) and my life experiences/upbringing. I've had a diverse 21 years, I came from a very bad situation and made something stable and special from it, and I want to continue the trend.
i graduated from my undergrad in 3 years. i dont know if it gave me an edge, but i think it hurt more than it helped me. It's come up in my interviews quite a bit...
why do you say its hurt you more? what have they said? Curious to know Cause Im kinda graduating in 3 yrs as well ..
L
LikeClockWork
I have a dad and brother in the medical field. I'm genetically predisposed.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
living in africa
My 6000+ hours of clinical experience (I know that's not rare on SDN, but it surprises most of the adcoms I've spoken with) and my life experiences/upbringing. I've had a diverse 21 years, I came from a very bad situation and made something stable and special from it, and I want to continue the trend.
Is it really not rare on SDN, or is it only common because everyone says they have a ton of clinical experience? I've got over 4,000 hours of experience, but that's because I've been a scrub tech for half a decade.
I drink wine.
Is it really not rare on SDN, or is it only common because everyone says they have a ton of clinical experience? I've got over 4,000 hours of experience, but that's because I've been a scrub tech for half a decade.
I dunno, it seems like everyone here has been an EMT forever... who knows. I know my hours are real, so I guess that's all that matters, right?
I dunno, it seems like everyone here has been an EMT forever... who knows. I know my hours are real, so I guess that's all that matters, right?
Word. 👍
I don't know if this particularly set me apart, but approaching the interview with a sense of humor and sincerity seemed to help me get accepted!![]()
Did you open up the interview with a joke?
I had the opportunity to tell my infamous (though overly told) Albert Einsten's driver joke.

Performing Stand Up comedy- brought up in my interviews
My pizza making skills
Living in Boston (not unique, but EVERY interviewer wants to talk about when they visited Boston or my views on the Red Sox (I'm a Yanks fan).
Dating a Texan
The slogan in my personal statement (Health and Handshakes)
My pizza making skills
Living in Boston (not unique, but EVERY interviewer wants to talk about when they visited Boston or my views on the Red Sox (I'm a Yanks fan).
Dating a Texan
The slogan in my personal statement (Health and Handshakes)
Caucasian male just interested in making money.
I haven't gone through the process yet but the fact that I'm a chinese cyclops may help. We're kind of underrepresented in medicine.
lol jk but this thread cracks me up.
lol jk but this thread cracks me up.
I know that's lame, but I think my deafness has something to do with it. I got accepted in two weeks later after my first interview with my first choice of medical school.
I know that's lame, but I think my deafness has something to do with it. I got accepted in two weeks later after my first interview with my first choice of medical school.
Did you apply to UCSD? They actually have a specific program in that, and I believe it comes with a full-tuition scholarship + stipend.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am better then all other applicants because I like science and I wanna help ppl.
social security number
oh don't forget amcas id number.
Did you apply to UCSD? They actually have a specific program in that, and I believe it comes with a full-tuition scholarship + stipend.
Oh, I didn't. I am not a big fan of any UC** except UCSF. However, I applied to my top choice of medical school like I said. It was a shoo-in, so I didn't bother to apply to others.
I can speak Hebrew and Arabic both flently. I guess that helps a lot since every meeting with adcoms. Everyone was in an awe.
Go fix Palestine!
I am better then all other applicants because I like science and I wanna help ppl.
We complement each other! I like science and wanna hurt people. Of course, I'm applying to *EVIL* medical school...
i'm hoping the fact that I apply rugby will make for some good conversastion. i dont know too many Americans in general that play/watch rugby let alone any pre meds that play at teh collegiate level.
if anything i'm hoping it will scare them into accepting me....i wouldnt want to be the one to reject a mean, vicious, blood-thirsty rugby player! arhhhhgh.
if anything i'm hoping it will scare them into accepting me....i wouldnt want to be the one to reject a mean, vicious, blood-thirsty rugby player! arhhhhgh.
i'm hoping the fact that I apply rugby will make for some good conversastion. i dont know too many Americans in general that play/watch rugby let alone any pre meds that play at teh collegiate level.
if anything i'm hoping it will scare them into accepting me....i wouldnt want to be the one to reject a mean, vicious, blood-thirsty rugby player! arhhhhgh.
Heh, adcoms see right through that. They all know that rugby players are about as dangerous and bloodthirsty as sleepy kittens.
Heh, adcoms see right through that. They all know that rugby players are about as dangerous and bloodthirsty as sleepy kittens.
awww such cute little kitties.
I have a 2.54 GPA, took the MCAT drunk, and managed to keep the cocky "I'm a shoe in" demeanor on my face as I answered "Why do you want to be a physician?" with "Dunno. Seems cool."
By the time I apply I will have 15 years (~36,000 hours, bitchesSo what do you think set you apart from other applicants that got you that acceptance? Im not talking about GPA or MCAT.
examples: EC's, Personal statement, life experiences, research, and anything other than GPA and MCAT.
) of clinical experience, multiple publications (n=>20), a couple of inventions, several internships, experience teaching in the medical field (including internationally) and I'm a published playwright.By the time I apply I will have 15 years (~36,000 hours, bitches) of clinical experience, multiple publications (n=>20), a couple of inventions, several internships, experience teaching in the medical field (including internationally) and I'm a published playwright.
Wow, I think you just shut the rest of us completely down.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
A
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 560
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 2K
