What should a PD do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do? (Read first post for full question!)

• Be Honest. Cancel the interview. Make you cry.

Votes: 59 78.7%
  • Be Understanding. Be Supportive. Interview me anyway. I want a chance to change your mind.

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Imagine this:

You apply to my program, and your application looks good. I offer you an interview. Two weeks before your interview, I receive your Step 2 score which is a failing result. I now know with 100% certainty that you will not be ranked in my program.

I could:

1. Tell you the truth, give you the option of canceling your interview. Your feelings may be hurt. You will likely not get all of your money back for travel arrangements.

2. Interview you anyway. You are probably feeling terrible about this score anyway, and canceling your interview will only worsen that. How could I be so mean?

Members don't see this ad.

#1. I wouldn't to waste my time and money on a program that wouldn't rank me. And I wouldn't want to waste the interviewers' time either. A third option would be to inform me of the fact that I will not be ranked, but that if I still want to come to the interview to check out the program, that option is still open to me.

ha. ok, you changed your post so #1 is the third option. i was replying to your original post.

Is it really 100% that you wouldn't change your mind?

For example:
You go with #2, and decide to ask what happened. "So, I noticed that you have a solid step 1 score, good clinical grades, and strong recommendations, but you failed Step 2. What happened?"

The applicant comes back with something along the lines of "My son fell off the merry go round during my evening dinner and study break. We went to the ED and he had a CT, he was fine so they let him come home. By the time we got home it was late and I knew that if I didn't go in to take Step 2 the next morning it was going to take a few weeks as well as cost me money to reschedule. I had studied hard and felt ready to take the exam just a few hours before, so I convinced myself that with 6 hours of sleep I could put the scary events of the evening behind me, take Step 2, and be done with it. During the test I was more distracted than I expected by what happened with my son. I guess it got in the way of my performance."

You really wouldn't reconsider?

#1. I wouldn't to waste my time and money on a program that wouldn't rank me. And I wouldn't want to waste the interviewers' time either. A third option would be to inform me of the fact that I will not be ranked, but that if I still want to come to the interview to check out the program, that option is still open to me.

amen...

#1 would be my vote --- first of all it shows honesty on behalf of the program...and doesn't give the applicant false hope.

not all would necessarily agree though...

how often has this happened in the past few years?

so do not take step 2 early!!!

I voted for number 1, but depending on the date, I would like to see faculty interview the applicant and allow them to retake Step 2, getting the new score before ROL.

But if this is not an option, as a candidate I would prefer the option of cancelling or coming.

I had a similar situation during fellowship interviews. My application went out late (because of some time off during residency I wasn't sure I would be able to start fellowship on time) and I really really really wanted to go to a certain program. They called, said their interviews were over but if I wanted to come they would interview me, although the chances would be low.

I figured I would have to take the chance because it would have been my number 1 choice and while money was tight, I didn't want to regret not going. I didn't match there but I'm glad I went because I am now working with a grad of that program and have been "adopted" by them as one of their own (they are a close knit group, who often get together at meetings, etc.), and it was nice the PD remembered me fondly (even if they didn't rank me high enough for me to match).

Is it really 100% that you wouldn't change your mind?

For example:
You go with #2, and decide to ask what happened. "So, I noticed that you have a solid step 1 score, good clinical grades, and strong recommendations, but you failed Step 2. What happened?"

The applicant comes back with something along the lines of "My son fell off the merry go round during my evening dinner and study break. We went to the ED and he had a CT, he was fine so they let him come home. By the time we got home it was late and I knew that if I didn't go in to take Step 2 the next morning it was going to take a few weeks as well as cost me money to reschedule. I had studied hard and felt ready to take the exam just a few hours before, so I convinced myself that with 6 hours of sleep I could put the scary events of the evening behind me, take Step 2, and be done with it. During the test I was more distracted than I expected by what happened with my son. I guess it got in the way of my performance."

You really wouldn't reconsider?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, agree with this poster, and pick option #2.

If all else is good and a failing Step 2 score is the only "red flag," we really need to ask ourselves what went wrong. Guys, we have to remind ourselves that these are just TESTS. Sure, they measure this and that but at the end of the day, they mean very little in the grand scheme of what it means to be a physician.

Maybe this poor student had a lot going on in their life leading up to the exam. Maybe they ate something the morning of the exam, had major GI issues and totally screwed up their concentration. Anything could have gone wrong. Remember, this person has an otherwise solid academic record. They are AT LEAST deserving of an interview, a chance to explain themselves and consideration for the program (with updated passing scores, of course).

Put yourself in his/her shoes and think for a split second how you would feel. Not very good. That's right. And all you'd probably want is for someone to give you a 2nd chance. Where is our COMPASSION!

100% does not = 99.99%. the question was asked saying there's no way the candidate would be ranked. let's not delude ourselves into believing what we want. if failing step 2 means a candidate won't be ranked at that program then the candidate should be told that and given the opportunity to not waste their time and money. if it's only a major red flag, well, that's a different story, however that's not the question that was asked.

100% does not = 99.99%. the question was asked saying there's no way the candidate would be ranked. let's not delude ourselves into believing what we want. if failing step 2 means a candidate won't be ranked at that program then the candidate should be told that and given the opportunity to not waste their time and money. if it's only a major red flag, well, that's a different story, however that's not the question that was asked.

You may have missed my point.

What I bolded in your post is exactly what I have a problem with. If it's the rule so far at the PD's program, then it needs to be changed. I've never been the type of person who accepts the status quo if I believe a better alternative is available. In this case, the better alternative is to drop this simplistic way of thinking ("you bombed Step 2 so you are not worthy of our program") and adopt a fairer approach ("we'll consider such situations on a case by case basis").

Being honest with the applicant is the quick answer but it's the superficial answer IMO. The real question is who made this ridiculous rule of not ranking such applicants and why are we still following it today?

This is just my opinion. I'd love to hear what others have to say, including the OP...:)

If you are not going to rank someone and yet interview them you are:

1) Wasting their money they could use for other apps and interviews.

2) Wasting your money.

3) Wasting both of your time and giving false hope.