What should be included in a good character reference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatsG123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm obtaining a character referencing from a close family friend and they want to know what should be included in it. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm obtaining a character referencing from a close family friend and they want to know what should be included in it. Any ideas?

Are you doing this for an LOR or something?

I would think basic character reference is your personality, how you handle things, what your best qualities are, etc. If this is for something medicine related, it should also reference how your qualities will form you into being a physician.

However, if this IS for an LOR.. correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it supposed to be for professors, doctors you shadowed, academic, etc. only?

Are you doing this for an LOR or something?

I would think basic character reference is your personality, how you handle things, what your best qualities are, etc. If this is for something medicine related, it should also reference how your qualities will form you into being a physician.

However, if this IS for an LOR.. correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it supposed to be for professors, doctors you shadowed, academic, etc. only?

It's an LOR. Most of the Florida schools require it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I agree with Neuro.. I thought it had to be from someone you shadowed, did research with, volunteered with, etc. Your family friend would probably be considered a peer letter.

Yeah, my premed advisor specifically asks that no character LORs are sent(i.e. from family, religious officials, politicians, etc.) so if you're getting a committee letter, make sure you're allowed to have that. Furthermore I think the reason my pre-med advisor doesn't accept those is because med schools don't like those, so I'd reconsider the character reference