What should I be focusing on while observing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bangn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've been volunteering/observing at an outpatient setting at the hospital for a couple of days now and while it's been great and all I'm not really sure what sort of information I should be grasping while observing..? What was your thought and learning process while you were observing, and how has it helped you reached your dream of becoming a PT? Don't get me wrong, I love it. I love watching the PTs work with the patients, but there's a lot going on and no two sessions are ever the same so I'm just curious how others "observe".

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely suggest asking questions and trying to figure out on your own why the PTs are doing certain things. There is so much you can achieve while observing. You can learn about different technique and the business side of PT. It allows you to interact with different people and learn how to approach different situations. I think the most important thing is to develop relationships with the PTs. I've developed some relationships with PTs and I can't tell you how many doors have been opened because of it. Everyone needs observation hours. Make sure you stand out and let them know that physical therapy is your passion. There is so much support in the field. Take advantage of it :)

The PTs are always talking to their patients so I feel rude just jumping in. I guess I just gotta do it ;)

Btw do you keep a journal of your observations such as the techniques you saw during a session and why it was used? If so has this helped you in any way?

Anyway I've just started and am hoping to build stronger relationships with the PTs I am observing. There are at least 15 PTs and so far I've had the chance to observe a few of them during downtime (for me). It'll be a challenge to develop close relationships with so many but I will try. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
It wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a journal and write down some notes. You'll need to be a keen observer, because more than likely schools will ask you a question about your observation hours.

Don't worry too much about learning the technical details of the profession. You'll learn that in school and in the clinic as a clinician. Learn about the history, the business, and the politics of PT. Observe what you like and what you don't like about PT.

Don't ask too many questions because you don't want to interrupt. Use your judgement to determine the appropriate time to ask a question.

Kevin

Bangn, best advice is to REALLY think about putting yourself in the PTs shoes. When doing this, ask yourself, "is this something I would enjoy as my career?" "What does it really feel like to be in his/her shoes" etc. The idea of shadowing is to determine if this is truly a career you can see yourself doing passionately. Determine what your true interests are and see if what the PTs are doing aligns with your interests. Whatever you do, do not half ***** the shadowing, ensure you shadow in all settings including outpatient, inpatient, and rehab. Just my advice, best of luck!

Hey!

I agree with what everyone else said but also remember that you will need letters of recommendation from PTs for your DPT program applications. Some of the traits they are looking for are difficult to show while simply observing. For example, they ask references about your leadership skills, time and stress management skills, ect. For me, I would have liked to know this while I was observing because a lot of the experiences I had were strictly me watching so my those skills weren't exactly spotlighted. If you can try to step up and show those qualities so when you ask your PTs for LORs they will be able to speak from experience.

Hope this helps!

-K

Conversate with the PT's you are observing. Force them to get to know who you are and what you're all about as a person. If they're not interested then those aren't the people you want writing the letters that may predict your future for you! Provide them with your resume since actions obviously speak louder than words. So discuss with them what you've accomplished so far then prove to them by providing documentation at the appropriate times.

Wow, thank you for the tips you guys! You're all so awesome. :) I definitely will make better use of my observation hours now.

I'd just also add to try to be helpful! A lot of the clinics I observed in didn't have aides (odd, I know) so I would volunteer to help clean up a table when someone was done, get a hot pack, etc. If the PT is doing something interesting you can say, I hate to interrupt but what are you doing? That looks really interesting to me...

And enjoy yourself! Try to shadow in different areas to really get a feel for everything that PT can be!