Medical What should I do about discrepancy in personal statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I went through my personal statement after submitting it and I noticed that one of the stories may have a detail in it I can't really verify or remember very well. I added this detail to the story when writing my personal statement because I thought it occurred. The experience I wrote about occurred quite a while ago and I was dumb enough to not keep a good record of what happened at the time so I had to rely on my memory to recreate the story. Anyways I talked about a teaching experience and I said I drew out diagrams, role played, and had the student repeat sentences. I remember role playing with the student and having them repeat phrases very well, but after some thought I can't really remember anything about drawing out things to help them learn, which I said I did. I thought at the time I wrote my personal statement that I did use drawings to help them learn, but the more I think about it, I don't think it really happened. Making the correction would require the removal of 3 words. Even if I did make the correction it wouldn't change the meaning of the story, but none the less it's basically an addition that may not have really happened. Also I had an editor look at it and they added that the student I taught improved significantly. Although they made some improvements, I personally didn't think that they were significant and I so I was going to remove that he made significant improvements from my personal statement. However, I forgot to remove it before submitting it. I have had people tell me it's no big deal, but honesty is very important to me. Even though it's a small discrepancy maybe, I want to get into medical school honestly. I tried to write as honestly as possible, even though I wasn't a 100% sure about the details since it was so long ago I tried my best. But I know myself and I have a tendency to overthink things. So should I email medical schools I have applied to remedy the mistakes by sending a new personal statement explaining things or am I overthinking this?
Take two of these, please:
1594087927154.png

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.