Medical What should I do about poor outcomes Post II?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some sort of clarification regarding post interview admissions decisions on here. I interviewed at 6 MD programs this past cycle and have yet to receive an acceptance. I completely acknowledge that my application was rushed and that my narrative may not have been the strongest however, I was granted a good amount of interviews that have resulted in half rejection and the other half waitlists. I may also not be the greatest interviewer but I don't think I completely tanked them either (was respectful, didn't try to dominate the interview, and spoke clearly about my experiences)

One of my rejections was completely merited imo, it was at a top program where my interviewer was apathetic towards me and made some odd comments about my background which hindered my performance. However during the other 2 interviews that resulted in a flat-out rejection, my interviewers mentioned that I was an "incredibly strong fit", "I would be a pleasure to have in the class", "to make sure to join XYZ club since I spearhead it and feel you'd make a great fit", "_____ SOM really likes individuals with your experiences", and "I will make sure to put in a great word when the committee meets up" only to get a flat out rejection.

I have asked feedback from a couple of programs where I did not receive an interview who said my letters were strong and that my narrative was also good. I am assuming that rules out poor letters or essays? Am I missing something here? Could it be my experiences/extracurriculars?

As a reapplication becomes more likely, what can I do to ensure this doesn't happen again? I am still hopeful for a WL acceptance but want to prepare for the worst.
How did you prepare for each interview day? I would be careful not to pin all the issues on interviewing since file deliberations should involve a full file review, but it winds up being very likely.

Members don't see this ad.

You yourself wrote: my application was rushed and that my narrative may not have been the strongest

Most people are terrible judges of their own interview skills. Whoever screened you might have thought that you had something of interest despite the app flaws, but you failed to seal the deal at the interviews

Read this: Goro's Guide to Interviews: The View from Behind the Curtain

For next cycle, work on interview skills, and treat the application process more seriously. It's like a full time job.

I did mock interviews, along with researching each individual school, attending pre-interview dinners to get a better feel of some factoids that may not be available online, and made sure to review my secondary and primary applications.

Could you clarify what you mean by "should involve a full file review, but it winds up being very likely."?
Sorry that was a complex sentence:
I would be careful not to pin all the issues on interviewing since file deliberations should involve a full file review, but it winds up being very likely your interviewing.

Should I take my interviewers words as somewhat carefree then? I was just so confused bc I had gone through an interview where I complete blew it vs one where I had the interviewer stop me mid-interview to tell me how well it was going and mention some of the phrases I quoted above. So I feel like I have seen both ends of the spectrum. Would a poor narrative, iffy extracurriculars but decent numbers get you an interview but then not seal it even with an average interview?
Interviewers are trained to be polite

With the number of IIs you got , your app clearly wasn't lethal, but such poor outcomes points to poor interview skills.

Not all interviewers have a voice in file deliberation. They are trained to be nice, but no one interviewer will have any persuasion in file deliberation. The overall file will be reviewed in full, so any blemishes that get focused upon by committee members can sink a file.

Status
Not open for further replies.