What Should I Do After 2-years Not Getting Matched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hendrick

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a non-US IMG, graduated in 2019. The first year I was found violating a NRMP policy and got a "violation Mark" for 2 years. Bearing the Mark, I ranked 8 programs this years, but none of them works.
USMLE scores: 254, 235, 1st Pass, 228. Have US Clinical Experience and LoRs. Focusing on Internal Medicine.
I'm considering taking a Master degree in US before my next attempt of Match. Yes I know it gonna cost me a lot and 2 years, but I'm really not sure if I should try again with the mark.
Do you think I should scramble for another year (research, ob, shadowing) with the mark or do something else? If I applied a Master degree (starting this Fall), which specialty would you recommend to maximally improve my chance of match 2 years later? MPH, biomedical informatics focusing on QI and patient safety, or Clinical research?

For anyone who interested in how I violated the policy: I entrusted my username and password to a friend now doing PGY-2 in America. The reason I gave it to him is because sometimes there is a stupid internet censorship in China, and just in case I cannot log in ERAS or NRMP websites timely. There is a design flaw in NRMP website that if you log in through the URL of "Unfilled program of SOAP" of last year, you may know if you're matched or not 5-7 days before the official email. On Feb, 26, he sent me a screenshot showing "congratulations, you're matched, therefore you do not have access to SOAP system". Realizing he is logging in my account without my permission, I changed my password immediately. But it was too late. He had tried for dozens of times before finally got that message. The nrmp withdrew my matched position and investigated for 4 months. I'm still eligible for match, but the mark will last for 2 years.

I'm really grateful if you're still reading. Match into a program is the dream of myself and my family, and I'm not ready to give it up. It is a hard time finding even unpaid research job for an IMG requiring visa sponsorship. A master degree may fill the gap on my CV and hopefully helpful in someways? I'm carving for your advice and opinions. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.