Veterinary What should I do as a low GPA applicant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior at the University of Kentucky and wanted some advice on how to be a more competitive applicant. My GPA went down hill during my sophomore to junior year. I have gotten my GPA back to a 3.1 and have gotten A's in organic chemistry and currently in biochemistry. I am a non traditional student that has over 20,000 hours with mostly large animal vet experience, and some of that is with small animals. I know that my GPA is total crap and since I want to go to my in-state school Auburn I know that a 3.1 is not going to give me an opportunity to get my foot in the door. I was wanting to know how a masters program will help my chances if I do as good in it as I have done my senior year. My last 36 GPA is a 3.67 and I have to take the GRE again because I did terrible on it the first time. Thank you guys for reading!!

Have you maintained connection with Auburn's admissions staff? What would they suggest you do, or what master's programs do they have the most experience with accepting and witnessing succeeding? You should also check with other vet schools admissions officers say after seeing what the VMSAR says.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you applied yet? If so, they will give you a file review. You may want to focus on schools that allow instate status after a year and focus less on grades. Master's degree programs can be helpful, but you have to do well in them.

I only recommend caution with Caribbean or LMU because they tend to have hefty price tags and student debt in vet med is no joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.