What should I do during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tbh I'd get a clinical job and do some nonclinical volunteering on the side, bc it seems like you've got your research covered already

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks,

Looking to get some advice about what might be best to do during my two gap years, at least from a med school admissions perspective. Currently a graduating senior at a top 10 school, holding some offers to do research in academia, work in biotech, and teach for Teach for America. I think my application is otherwise fairly solid (4.0, 522, three publications 2nd and 3rd author with >2000 hours, co-founded two service clubs and leadership role in another, ~250 hours clinical, ~50 hours shadowing), but am wondering how my gap years choice may impact my application. Kind of leaning towards Teach for America since my nonclinical volunteering has focused quite a bit on educational equity and feel strongly about the mission despite some flaws in TFA's execution. Still, I'm a bit worried that choosing not to do a research/science related thing may be sending the wrong signal to schools that emphasize research (top schools generally). Thoughts?

Some information altered for anonymity.

tldr: Should I do research in academia, work in biotech, and teach for Teach for America during gap years?

Thanks
Right now it appears that you have 0 hours in service of others (I don't count things done on campus, as you're in your comfort zone). Hence, TFA will do wonders for your app. Forget research; you have an app that is heavily skewed for that, and you don't want to come across as a lab rat who'd rather be in
the lab instead of dealing with patients.

Service need not be "unique"; it can be anything that helps people unable to help themselves and that is outside of a patient-care setting. If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients.

Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you.

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching literacy or ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Meals on Wheels, mentoring immigrant/refugee adults, being a friendly visitor to shut-ins, adaptive sports program coach or Special Olympics. Also, in the age of COVID, election poll working, which is normally done by seniors.

TLDR, engage in service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Reactions: 1 user