What should I do for extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhssn95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a 2nd-year applicant and am in a master's degree program, but as of now have gotten no interview requests. The pre-health advisor at my university has told me that she personally has not had students succeed with admissions with fewer than 9 or 10 experiences on average. After talking with a few other people I know of, including admission representatives from 2 schools I interviewed at but was waitlisted, I think that my only 6 activities listed on my application may be my weakest link.

I have a 3.68 GPA for both science and overall classes (No graduate GPA yet as I'm still in my first semester) and a 508 MCAT score and have shadowing, volunteer, leadership, and research experience, but only 6 different ones to speak of. I improved on this from last year, as I only had volunteering and a starting leadership experience to talk about. While I know that I still might get interviews in the coming months since schools interview into April, I'm already working on trying to improve my application for next year (Assuming I don't decide to wait a year or apply abroad), but honestly am not sure what experiences I should do, for how long, or where I should look for them. I was recommended to try and do non-healthcare related experiences like tutoring, and am currently working on being involved in a youth program near my current residence.

Anyone have some advice at all? Am I overreacting since its December and I am still pending at roughly 13 out of 21 schools? I live in Michigan and was turned down from Western, MSU, and Oakland (Pending at the remaining).

Members don't see this ad.

I think that number is a little esoteric. More important than the number of different things you've done is the longitudinal commitment you have with each.

Do not apply out of the country.

Just from what you said, it looks like you have little clinical experience. How many hours have you shadowed? What else have you done in term of clinical hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm already working on trying to improve my application for next year
Unless your app has improved drastically in the last year, you are wasting time and money by re-applying right away.

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently a 2nd-year applicant and am in a master's degree program, but as of now have gotten no interview requests. The pre-health advisor at my university has told me that she personally has not had students succeed with admissions with fewer than 9 or 10 experiences on average. After talking with a few other people I know of, including admission representatives from 2 schools I interviewed at but was waitlisted, I think that my only 6 activities listed on my application may be my weakest link.

I have a 3.68 GPA for both science and overall classes (No graduate GPA yet as I'm still in my first semester) and a 508 MCAT score and have shadowing, volunteer, leadership, and research experience, but only 6 different ones to speak of. I improved on this from last year, as I only had volunteering and a starting leadership experience to talk about. While I know that I still might get interviews in the coming months since schools interview into April, I'm already working on trying to improve my application for next year (Assuming I don't decide to wait a year or apply abroad), but honestly am not sure what experiences I should do, for how long, or where I should look for them. I was recommended to try and do non-healthcare related experiences like tutoring, and am currently working on being involved in a youth program near my current residence.

Anyone have some advice at all? Am I overreacting since its December and I am still pending at roughly 13 out of 21 schools? I live in Michigan and was turned down from Western, MSU, and Oakland (Pending at the remaining).

What is your status as of now? Still no interviews? Quality is always over quantity for EC's but 6 kind of is low if you ask me. Your MCAT is pretty good so not much of a problem there. But you really should work on clinical volunteering experience (patient care hours) and nonclinical volunteering (community service). For patient care you should volunteer at free clinics, or become a hospice volunteer Henry Ford Hospice always needs volunteers, or try to find a position at a doctor's office. These are just some suggestions there are many other things you can do. For nonclinical tutoring is always good but also try to do some community service and outreach activities like soup kitchens, health initiatives, there is a wide variety here
. They like to see that you are committed to a cause/volunteer experience because it is meaningful to you. Another possibility is that your hours might be on the lower side so make sure you have a good amount of volunteer hours. I kind of agree that fewer than 9 activities is pretty low. Get involved with some clubs (academic, pre-med, etc) or some sports clubs too. There is a program called City Year look into that if you have a gap year it is an intensive tutoring/teaching experience.