This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cakt27

Reaction score
I applied last cycle to no avail which I kind of expected because I only had hospital volunteer experience and worked part time as a physical therapy aide.
This past year I have been working as a medical assistant at a clinic with NPs and PAs and will have about 1500 hours by the time I apply this round. The problem is that I still don't have any shadowing experience (and won't get any now due to COVID) and my clinical experiences haven't been directly with MDs. Am I screwed?
GPA: 3.64 MCAT: 515 (130/129/128/128)
Other extracurriculars: UNICEF club event coordinator then president, children's hospital volunteer, family housing shelter volunteer, summer research internship, physical therapy aide

I plan to emphasize that after working with NPs and PAs I know I don't want to go that route bc of how limited they are in their scope (e.g. when we have a difficult patient we have to consult with an MD) and I don't want those limitations in my own practice but is this enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Medical assistants are not expected to work directly with doctors (from my experience working in medical offices) so I would talk about the patient care mostly as this is what is important. Have you asked the doctors at your clinic if you could shadow them? I also feel like you shouldn't talk about why you don't want to be an NP or PA as much as you should talk about why being a doctor fulfills your career goals.

Reactions: 1 user
We are enforcing social distancing very strictly at our clinics right now and only have a couple MDs in the whole organization for 15ish clinics so very slim chance of them letting me shadow but I will try to contact them and see!
Thanks for the advice to emphasize patient care, I really did have a lot of meaningful patient experiences and got to do a lot of education and counseling with them as well so hopefully app committees will be willing to look past my lack of shadowing