Medical What should I do if I'm contemplating switching specialties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will probably be a very long post.

I am currently a CA-2 (PGY-3) at an academic anesthesiology program in the Southwest. I recently had to meet my program director regarding a decision from the Clinical Competency Committee. For the last 6 months of my CA-1 year, I received an “unsatisfactory” for one of the ABA Essential Attributes (#4 – reacts to stressful situations in an appropriate manner). Their primary concerns are my self-confidence and my ability to react to stressful situations, particularly anesthetic-related complications. As far as I know, this isn’t a formal probation or remediation – instead, I received recommendations in a formal letter which I received a few weeks ago.

With these issues in mind, I have started to question my ability to become an anesthesiologist as well as my interest in anesthesiology altogether. There is literature stating that residents who receive an “unsatisfactory” rating in the ABA essential attributes are far less likely to graduate or become board certified. I have also questioned if my temperament is the right fit for anesthesiology, and have thought that I might be better off in a specialty with fewer high-stress, high-stakes situations, or even a specialty with less direct patient contact, such as radiology or pathology. I have also considered totally exiting medicine and entering a non-clinical career, but I am concerned that failing to complete a residency will raise red flags among employers.

One of the recommendations from the CCC was for me to go to a counselor, though I was only able to get one session because of the nature of my schedule. I have also seen a psychiatrist as I speculate some, if not most, of these issues may be due to undiagnosed ADHD.

I would appreciate any advice you have regarding how to move forward.
I would suggest you start by speaking with your program director. If you wish to switch specialties, you will likely need a letter from your program director stating that you are in good standing, so let them know what you are thinking.
I’ve already spoken to my program director and am going to shadow and talk to some people in the radiology department. At some point I certainly do need to sit down and start drafting a new ERAS application since my current institution already filled all available positions, and the one outside the match was given to an incoming PGY-2.

Hypothetically if I do find out I legitimately have ADHD after cognitive testing- what would be the best way to disclose this to my program? I feel that a lawyer should be involved in the conversation.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.