What Should I Do Next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kameha01

Reaction score
I've got over 250 hours of non-clinical volunteering, over 1300 hours of clinical experience, almost 700 hours of research during undergrad, and about 90 hours of shadowing. However, in case I don't get in this year, I'm trying to figure out what I should do just in case.

Right now the only thing I can think about is volunteering as a CNA abroad (would aim to do it in around February for 3 months?). Other than this, does anyone have any ideas about what I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would stay in the states.

Just because you acclimated a ton of hours does not guarantee you a spot in medical school or any other health professional program. It just means you won't be screened out due to lack of insight / knowledge.

I need to check if you posted a WAMC to get more insight if there is anything else you can do.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why volunteer as a CNA abroad?
How are you stats? Do you have a theme woven through all of those activities that has brought you to medicine? Where did you apply? Is this your first time applying?
I quickly checked a couldn’t find that you posted acWAMC grid. So here it is..
Fill it in and post in theMWAMC forums.

Reactions: 3 users
I've got over 250 hours of non-clinical volunteering, over 1300 hours of clinical experience, almost 700 hours of research during undergrad, and about 90 hours of shadowing. However, in case I don't get in this year, I'm trying to figure out what I should do just in case.

Right now the only thing I can think about is volunteering as a CNA abroad (would aim to do it in around February for 3 months?). Other than this, does anyone have any ideas about what I should do?
If you aren't accepted with this kind of experience, lack of experience won't be the reason. The reason could be:

1. Concern about your academic ability due to a low GPA/MCAT.
2. A poor presentation of your experience. Perhaps you focused on what you did and left out what you accomplished or what you learned from these experiences.
3. Poor choice of schools given your stats and interests.

I'd suggest you do something that you enjoy and that you won't be able to do if accepted. Or, if you feel some of your academic stats aren't what they should be, work to improve them.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi OP. Echoing what others have said, you have plenty of hours across the board. As long as your grades and MCAT are ok, then there isn't much value to seeking out new experiences just for the sake of your application. I'd continue pursuing your passions, culturing your relationships with your letter writers, and working on your game plan for next year. This all being said, we're only in October, this cycle is still young :) Good luck!