What should I do the summer after 1st year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knight12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a research position this summer. This is what I get for not applying vigorously. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do this summer that is medically related? Also, will I have time to do research next summer?(between 2nd and 3rd year) Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a research position this summer. This is what I get for not applying vigorously. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do this summer that is medically related? Also, will I have time to do research next summer?(between 2nd and 3rd year) Thanks.

Next summer (between 2d and 3d year) you will likely be spending the bulk of your time studying for Step 1, so I wouldn't plan on doing much else. As for this summer, is there a research office at your med school that helps people line up spots? If not, is your med school affiliated with a hospital? If so, just get ahold of the directory and start emailing to clinicians in research intensive specialties -- someone is bound to have something he could use assistance with. If money isn't an object, you could also use the summer to shadow in a specialty or two, and see if they interest you. They tend to let you do a lot more as a med student than they did when you shadowed as an undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you really want to do research then go to the website of your affiliated hospital, select the dept you're interested in & look at the doc's recent publications. Email a bunch of them & someone will point you in the right direction. You are cheap labor for chart review.

That said, i woud lay by the pool & enjoy your last summer!

If you do research, i would suggest setting something up on your own. Most schools will fund you with a stipend but they are usually 9-12 weeks. Find a doc on your own and pick something that is fairly easy yet novel. I did this last summer. I spent a week reviewing charts and got pretty decent results. Spent another week or 2 writing a paper and just submitted it for publication. :thumbup:

you have to ask around on your own. i refuse to believe that a school can run out of research opportunities.

i found a guy who just became an editor for a review-source for orthopedic residents studying for boards. they paid $700 an article.

that summer, i wrote 3 articles, first author on each.

such treasures are hard to find, but if you look hard enough, you'll get it.

you have to ask around on your own. i refuse to believe that a school can run out of research opportunities.

i found a guy who just became an editor for a review-source for orthopedic residents studying for boards. they paid $700 an article.

that summer, i wrote 3 articles, first author on each.

such treasures are hard to find, but if you look hard enough, you'll get it.

wow... :eek: That's a very nice find

Go to Mexico and learn to speak Spanish with moderate proficiency, which can be done in about 6 weeks unless you have enormous trouble with languages. You will be profoundly grateful as soon as you start clinical rotations, in almost any city in the US. It will save you tons of time. And your residents and attendings will love you because you will make their lives easier. This was the best thing I did in the summer after first year, and there were so many times during third year that I was glad I did it.

If you can't go for 6 weeks, then take some beginner Spanish classes here or self-study, then go for 3 weeks. Stay with a Mexican family and socialize with hot Mexicans of whatever gender interests you, if you want to really practice your Spanish.

My own recommendation for an excellent school is
http://baden-powell.com