What should I do the summer before I enter pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lponced2002

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior about to graduate. I will begin my first year in pharmacy school this fall. I am in the process of deciding what I should do for my last "free" summer before pharmacy school. I apologize for the long post in advance:

Option 1:
I was just presented with an opportunity to intern with a company called 'Southwestern Advantage.' They sell educational supplies including textbook study aids and software. Essentially, my job would be to sell these products to families with children who are attending grade school to high school. The average college student intern makes above 8,000$ within these three months. I would be living with a host family, my manager, and 3 other student interns.
I've looked at the products, and they are definitely helpful to students. In addition, this company has been operating and taking in interns for over 100 years. They are successful, and this is not a scam. The catch is that it takes a lot of work to sell the supplies; I must visit 30 families 6 days a week.
Advantages:
- character building (leadership, communication, able to take rejection, exposure to working in new locations, improving work ethic and commitment)
- college credit
- experience
- money
- possibly once in a lifetime opportunity
In addition, I see this as a chance to build experience and character;
Disadvantages:
- working about 80 hours a week
- stress, time commitment
- accepting rejection
- pay based on my effort

Option 2:
At the same time, I realize that this may be my last "free" summer before I enter pharmacy school. My only reason to not follow through with the program is because I want to finally relax and feel the satisfaction of getting into pharmacy school. I know that it will not have a lot of free time once I am attending.

My alternative plans for summer would be to work part-time, visit family in Puerto Rico, volunteer in Guatamala for 2 weeks, and to really do new things that I've never really had time to do as an undergrad.

So again, my two options are:
1) Enjoy my last 'free' summer by traveling, working part-time, and relaxing
OR
2) work my butt off through the entire summer with this internship that can most likely pay me above 8 grand?

Do any of you have advice on what I should do? Is this really my last relaxing summer before pharmacy school? Is this program worth heightening my experience and personal character? If you have any other questions about the program or what I'd do during a free summer in detail, I'd be happy to answer them.

Any advice is much appreciated; Thank you all :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am a senior about to graduate. I will begin my first year in pharmacy school this fall. I am in the process of deciding what I should do for my last "free" summer before pharmacy school. I apologize for the long post in advance:

Option 1:
I was just presented with an opportunity to intern with a company called 'Southwestern Advantage.' They sell educational supplies including textbook study aids and software. Essentially, my job would be to sell these products to families with children who are attending grade school to high school. The average college student intern makes above 8,000$ within these three months. I would be living with a host family, my manager, and 3 other student interns.
I've looked at the products, and they are definitely helpful to students. In addition, this company has been operating and taking in interns for over 100 years. They are successful, and this is not a scam. The catch is that it takes a lot of work to sell the supplies; I must visit 30 families 6 days a week.
Advantages:
- character building (leadership, communication, able to take rejection, exposure to working in new locations, improving work ethic and commitment)
- college credit
- experience
- money
- possibly once in a lifetime opportunity
In addition, I see this as a chance to build experience and character;
Disadvantages:
- working about 80 hours a week
- stress, time commitment
- accepting rejection
- pay based on my effort

Option 2:
At the same time, I realize that this may be my last "free" summer before I enter pharmacy school. My only reason to not follow through with the program is because I want to finally relax and feel the satisfaction of getting into pharmacy school. I know that it will not have a lot of free time once I am attending.

My alternative plans for summer would be to work part-time, visit family in Puerto Rico, volunteer in Guatamala for 2 weeks, and to really do new things that I've never really had time to do as an undergrad.

So again, my two options are:
1) Enjoy my last 'free' summer by traveling, working part-time, and relaxing
OR
2) work my butt off through the entire summer with this internship that can most likely pay me above 8 grand?

Do any of you have advice on what I should do? Is this really my last relaxing summer before pharmacy school? Is this program worth heightening my experience and personal character? If you have any other questions about the program or what I'd do during a free summer in detail, I'd be happy to answer them.

Any advice is much appreciated; Thank you all

I'd take option 2 or the alternative or whatever. One of your pros for option 1 is college credit. Won't be needing that. Another is experience. This doesn't really seem related to your career goals, unless you wanna work as like an MSL hustling drugs for a pharmaceutical company (still a stretch). Plus, you pointed out that the "average" intern makes $8k. That means there's a very good chance you won't make that! Living full time with a bunch of strangers doesn't sound that appealing to me. Never done it, never will.
I'd say get a part time job scooping ice cream or lifeguarding or something that will be easy to quit in August (alternatively, get a job as a pharmacy tech/intern and pray that they're flexible about vacations). Work as much as possible, make $1500, spend time with your family. Next summer, go get that internship or co-op. You're right, this could be your last chance to veg out for 4+ years. You worked hard to get here, now reward yourself a little. Don't get burnt out before you even start school.

Members don't see this ad :)

By a long shot this. You''ll probably build a better and more unique character doing these things anyway.

That "Southwestern Advantage" thing TAKES advantage of people who think those things will sell themselves. Guess what - they won't. These contracts are extremely hard to get out of, and while I don't know about this company in particular, some of these door-to-door sales jobs which hire young adults have actually held them hostage and not paid them for items they did in fact sell. :eek:

How about Option 3: find a pharmacy-related job so you can see whether you actually like the field before you have committed to it past the point of no return?

Definitely steer away from #1 unless you're really desperate for cash. Although it may not be a "scam" per se, it will probably not pay as well as you think, especially if you're working 80 hours. $8/hr x 80 hours = $640 x 12 weeks = $7680, so you're really not getting a high pay rate, definitely under $9/hr. I've looked into and had friends work at similar sales companies, and many of them make you purchase the items upfront to use for your demonstrations, so there would be an investment there as well. Some of them also require you give names and numbers of family/friends so they will be added to the sales list.

Since you've offered the option of traveling abroad, I'll wager that you don't need the money that badly, in which case any work you do should be more for the experience and connections, so a pharmacy job would be the way to go.

Is this really my last relaxing summer before pharmacy school? Is this program worth heightening my experience and personal character? If you have any other questions about the program or what I'd do during a free summer in detail, I'd be happy to answer them.

this is so weird :scared:

assuming you are for real and not some person trying to promote some freaky grift/pyramid scheme/nonsense, i'll answer one of your questions: there's no reason this should be your last free summer unless you are in a year round program, of course.

and, no, i would not like to know what you would do during a free summer in detail. why would anyone?

maybe i just don't understand the internetz...oh well

Looking back now, if I knew I was going to embark on my last free summer and money wasn't an issue I would definitely travel or stay in the area and spend time with family and friends. Just relax and enjoy it. If you really do want to get a leg up on pharmacy stuff, try to find a part time tech job. But if you already know you like it, take advantage of this time.

I took the accelerated path and was so burned out by it. Then almost right after that I started work. Once you start working full time you will never again get an opportunity to have 3 straight months off (unless you take a leave of absence but people usually only do that if something bad happens). If you work retail you will work mornings, evenings, overnights, 12 hour shifts sporadically at someone else's will. You will most likely work every other weekend and most major holidays and miss out on a lot of the social gatherings that people have. And that is for the next 30-40 years of your life. Maybe I'm being dramatic, but what I would give to have the summer, winter and Thanksgiving breaks that I had back in college.

Personally I'd pick the option where you make money and stay busy. I did the semester before I started pharm school and paid my first two semester's tuition (- subsidized loans). Feels good man.

Edit: Didn't realize it was that type of internship. Don't do it.

Last edited:
You're a senior in high school? You have a long ways to go before pharmacy school.

Either way, stay the hell away from that sales job. Some company tried to get me like that my during the summer of my high school year. It was basically door to door sales of kitchen supplies. And you were forced to purchase a demonstration set and no guaranteed pay.

Travel, Travel, Travel. One of my biggest regrets in life. My wife and I were together for 5 years before we had kids and 4 years before I started pharmacy school and we didn't take advantage of our freedom. No we look forward to both of my boys graduating from high school in approximately 13 years so we can travel and you can't get your youth back. Travel, Travel, Travel!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a senior in high school? You have a long ways to go before pharmacy school.

Either way, stay the hell away from that sales job. Some company tried to get me like that my during the summer of my high school year. It was basically door to door sales of kitchen supplies. And you were forced to purchase a demonstration set and no guaranteed pay.

He's probably going to a six year program.

OP... do NOT do Option 1. Door to door sales is brutal and exhausting. Plus, this company IS a scam. Read this: http://www.southwesterncompanytruth.com/

Option 2:

You're not going to get the opportunity to do things like this again! Forget about Southwestern Advantage and go have some fun!

Option 3: Go upto the highest calculus you can
Option 4: Girls
Option 5: Buy a pistol and practice shooting all summer

Option 3: Go upto the highest calculus you can
Option 4: Girls
Option 5: Buy a pistol and practice shooting all summer
You can tell you're pre-pharm because you still think that math is important. We don't use any math above what you learn in maybe 6-8th grade. Sure there's an e^x or log here and there, but you're just plugging it all into a calculator anyway.

Hey all,

I really appreciate all of the advice! I tried to make this post as straightforward as possible, so I did leave out some details.

But to clarify, I will be graduating with my bachelor's degree from UF. I have already been granted acceptance, and will attend a pharmacy school this upcoming fall. I am not a high school senior :). Also, I've volunteered and shadowed pharmacists my past summers, and have been involved in some on campus pre-pharmacy organizations. I am confident that this is the right career path for me.

After reading all of your posts while also taking time to conduct my own research, I'd say option 2 really is what I should follow through with.

Again, Thank you all for the feedback :D

Travel, Travel, Travel. One of my biggest regrets in life. My wife and I were together for 5 years before we had kids and 4 years before I started pharmacy school and we didn't take advantage of our freedom. No we look forward to both of my boys graduating from high school in approximately 13 years so we can travel and you can't get your youth back. Travel, Travel, Travel!!!!

Agreed. Traveling is by far the major thing that came to mind when I was thinking about taking advantage of the summer before pharmacy school. It's definitely something that I don't want to regret later in life, especially since I have the resources and time to do so right now.

Thanks a lot for the feedback :)

You can tell you're pre-pharm because you still think that math is important. We don't use any math above what you learn in maybe 6-8th grade. Sure there's an e^x or log here and there, but you're just plugging it all into a calculator anyway.

Oh, I realize that. I just thought having taken higher level of math makes you a better thinker.

Cuz remember, CALCULUS IS BASIC MATH

You need to ask the opinions of complete strangers on how to spend your free time?

You have busted your (_|_) to get where you are right now. Soon you will be busting it some more. I suggest taking the summer for you and only you.