What should I do to better learn topics on DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmart4383

Reaction score
I am a second year Biomedical science student with intentions of going on to dental school. Ive been searching through the web looking at practice questions of the DAT and I honestly dont know the anwsers for most of them. Its not that i dont remember its simply that I have never lesrned that. My question is that is because of the way my major is geared or is this normally what happens and on has to self teach the specifics of the DAT? What resources can or should I use to start preping for the DAT 2 years before I take it?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a second year Biomedical science student with intentions of going on to dental school. Ive been searching through the web looking at practice questions of the DAT and I honestly dont know the anwsers for most of them. Its not that i dont remember its simply that I have never lesrned that. My question is that is because of the way my major is geared or is this normally what happens and on has to self teach the specifics of the DAT? What resources can or should I use to start preping for the DAT 2 years before I take it?
Your major has nothing to do with it although it would be better if you had taken science classes that’ll make you more comfortable with the material as it wouldn’t be the first time for you.

Your major doesn't matter, but you need to make sure you are taking the required courses for dental school (ie. Organic Chemistry 1 and 2, Biology, etc.). Schools will not allow you to matriculate into the school, without having taken all required courses. There are a lot of them, and the requirements are slightly different at each school (some require an amount of humanities, while some require sociology or psychology). I would check out the ADA website and a few schools that you may be interested in to see what their requirements are, so you can plan to begin taking those classes next semester. You can take a couple of them at a Community College, but I know that some schools don't love classes taken there, so be careful when doing that. Possibly call a few schools before you do this to make sure the credit will be accepted. You can't take the DAT without these foundational classes.

I recommend joining Dr. Romano's DAT Study Group on Facebook. He has lots of videos and resources to determine how to best study for the DAT, then posts daily questions to help you learn concepts for the DAT. This helped me and I am currently in my 2nd year of dental school.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

I wouldn't worry about studying for the DAT just yet as a second year, especially if you haven't taken all of the classes that you should before the DAT (general biologies, organic chemistry, general chemistry, biochemistry, etc.). Learn the material first. You pay a lot of money for college, get some use out of it in preparing you for the exam. Answering questions will be much easier after you learn the material.

I was in the same mindset of you going into the DAT and thought I had to prep a year or two in advance. I got advice to not do that because you're not going to remember the specific details required for the exam if you learned the material two years before test day. At max, I'd say spend a year preparing if you really want to. Some people do 9 months, others 6, some 3, and some even within a couple of weeks. Regardless, two years is too long in my opinion.

If you want to start getting acclimated to the sorts of questions on the DAT, maybe try joining the Destroyer Facebook group as @futureteethdriller suggested. That way you can start seeing the questions in a low-stress way without having to worry about getting them all wrong and causing you to panic.

Best of luck!