Dental What should I do with no interview invites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick stats:

Graduating from Canadian university with degree in Biochemistry
GPA: 3.15, Senior year GPA 3.7
No prerequisite courses below a C but one F and two W's in first year.
DAT: 19 total, 19 science, nothing below 17, 25 RC, 22 PAT,
500+ shadowing hours, 5 years dental assisting, large amount of volunteer hours.

I applied to 10 schools and have received no invites, I understand that my stats are average at best so i am looking for information on how i can make my application shine next cycle.

I have the opportunity to do a masters program in immunology, a year of upper level courses and retake few first/second year courses or work full time as a dental assistant. Which of these would be my best course of action?
I'd do the Masters program because your GPAs aren't very competitive for US dental schools, and perhaps also I'd look into retaking your DAT (but I think this would be secondary). As a Canadian, you are international, and thus your app needs to be really, really good to have a shot at US schools. And, you already have tons of assisting, you don't need anymore- you need to just prove you'd be a strong student that can handle the rigorous curriculum.

For this current cycle though, I'd send letters of interest to the schools that haven't rejected you (if any have). For the schools that have rejected you (if there are any), I'd call them and ask them what they think would help strengthen your application. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.