What should I do with summer break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

backman_y2k

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my first year of osteopathic medical school. Several people have recommended research during the summer break, but I was unable to find any ortho research programs open. My school doesn't have an affiliated ortho residency program, which makes it much harder. Will the osteopathic programs consider my background as a former chiropractor to be positive? Any comments would be appreciative

Members don't see this ad.

Will the osteopathic programs consider my background as a former chiropractor to be positive?

No.

The only thing that programs (allopathic or osteopathic) will consider as "positive" are your outstanding grades, your top-of-the-class ranking, and your remarkable board scores. Also helpful will be your great reviews from rotations, your hard work while rotating at their hospital, and your ability to take care of the tiny details without appearing anal.

What you don't want to do is show up, and act special because you've done something before. So you've got an advanced degree, who cares? Hopefully you've mastered your anatomy. That will matter. Perhaps you really understand patient/physician/insurance/leagal matters. That will be helpful. If you go to a program, and act like an attending, because you've already been one in your field, you're going to have problems. Don't play up your previous job. Instead, let your knowlege show itself in your abilty to answer questions and have stimulating conversation.