What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnmuggs0011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT score just came out today and honestly I'm really depressed. I've already taken the MCAT before and scored a 487 (I know it sucks), but this time I scored a 495. On the practice exams I was scoring around the 503-505 range but I'm not sure how I ended up with a 495. I can't think straight anymore and feel stupid. My gpa is a 3.4 and I have decent extracurriculars but it's my MCAT that is holding me back. What should I do at this point because I know I can't apply this cycle with such bad MCAT scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Well option 1 is to retake the MCAT and significantly improve and apply DO, maybe state MD if you kill it (unlikely to happen). For this you would need to take a step back and figure out what it is that is holding you back and do not retake until you are consistently hitting practice scores that are 510+

A second option I would suggest is to take a look into podiatry. Your stats are fine as is and you may even get a scholarship. You are a surgeon, will make north of 120K (some pods make significantly more than this), and will work about 40 hours a week. It's a pretty good gig.

Reactions: 2 users
Well option 1 is to retake the MCAT and significantly improve and apply DO, maybe state MD if you kill it (unlikely to happen). For this you would need to take a step back and figure out what it is that is holding you back and do not retake until you are consistently hitting practice scores that are 510+

A second option I would suggest is to take a look into podiatry. Your stats are fine as is and you may even get a scholarship. You are a surgeon, will make north of 120K (some pods make significantly more than this), and will work about 40 hours a week. It's a pretty good gig.

I feel like I've tried my hardest for the MCAT but just can't seem to improve. What would be the minimum I would need to get on the third attempt to be competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT score just came out today and honestly I'm really depressed. I've already taken the MCAT before and scored a 487 (I know it sucks), but this time I scored a 495. On the practice exams I was scoring around the 503-505 range but I'm not sure how I ended up with a 495. I can't think straight anymore and feel stupid. My gpa is a 3.4 and I have decent extracurriculars but it's my MCAT that is holding me back. What should I do at this point because I know I can't apply this cycle with such bad MCAT scores.

Don't feel dumb and do not dwell on this! Yea the situation is not ideal and you're fighting an uphill battle, but if you truly believe that this is the only career path for you, make it happen. Get back in there and grind man. Plan to retake the MCAT and bust your ass to knock it out of the park. Take your time with your preparation, apply next cycle, bolster your app with strong EC's, and be prepared to show adcoms how hard you've worked and how much you've grown as an applicant and person. You can do this brotha!

I feel like I've tried my hardest for the MCAT but just can't seem to improve. What would be the minimum I would need to get on the third attempt to be competitive?

Tough question, but I would think 504+. Thats a 23/24 equiv to a 27.5/28. I think that should do it.

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing is that the vast majority of schools will average MCAT scores instead of taking the best score, which is why it is recommended that one should not take the MCAT until one is fully ready to do so.

For example even if you scored a 510 on your next MCAT, many schools would look at you as having a 497 MCAT.

My advice would be is if you're SET on DO, do some grade repair and get that GPA to as close as humanly possible to ~4.0 cumulative AND science.
Do extensive research, and get the best set of EC's you can.
retake the MCAT one more time, and shoot for the best possible score. DO NOT take it until you are FULLY ready and have truly understood the weakness in your study plan.

If you have stellar EC's, ~3.9 cGPA and ~3.9 sGPA and score say a 505 you'll still have an average of a 496 MCAT but your EC's and GPA will be so stellar that it could help make up for that MCAT.

NEVER feel dumb. The MCAT is just one exam and doesn't predict your success as a physician. Good luck, and be sure to update us. @Goro what would you recommend OP?

The only thing is that the vast majority of schools will average MCAT scores instead of taking the best score, which is why it is recommended that one should not take the MCAT until one is fully ready to do so.

For example even if you scored a 510 on your next MCAT, many schools would look at you as having a 497 MCAT.

My advice would be is if you're SET on DO, do some grade repair and get that GPA to as close as humanly possible to ~4.0 cumulative AND science.
retake the MCAT one more time, and shoot for the best possible score. DO NOT take it until you are FULLY ready and have truly understood the weakness in your study plan.

If you have stellar EC's, ~3.9 cGPA and ~3.9 sGPA and score say a 505 you'll still have an average of a 496 MCAT but your EC's and GPA will be so stellar that it could help make up for that MCAT.

NEVER feel dumb. The MCAT is just one exam and doesn't predict your success as a physician. Good luck, and be sure to update us. @Goro what would you recommend OP?

Thank you! I will definetely buckle down on this next MCAT to make sure I get a good grade. Also, I can't do grade repairs right now because I am going into my senior year of college and they don't allow grade repairs unless you get less than a 2.0 in a class, which I have not gotten. Although the most I can probably raise my grade to is most likely a 3.45 with the limited amount of science classes I need for senior year.

OP should see if test taking anxiety is the problem. If not, I recommend Plan B.

Thank you! I will definetely buckle down on this next MCAT to make sure I get a good grade. Also, I can't do grade repairs right now because I am going into my senior year of college and they don't allow grade repairs unless you get less than a 2.0 in a class, which I have not gotten. Although the most I can probably raise my grade to is most likely a 3.45 with the limited amount of science classes I need for senior year.
You will not have a chance for medical school with those MCATs unless you get your cGPA and sGPA to ~4.0

You will not have a chance for medical school with those MCATs unless you get your cGPA and sGPA to ~4.0
Just take the classes at another university after you finish your degree.

@Goro do you think schools will eventually stop averaging old mcat scores with new ones? I feel like even though it's a similar test, it is a bit unfair for schools to see or incorporate let's say a low score from 5 years ago and try to average it with a competitive score from this year.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

@Goro do you think schools will eventually stop averaging old mcat scores with new ones? I feel like even though it's a similar test? I feel it a bit unfair for schools to see or incorporate let's say a low score from 5 years ago and try to average it with a competitive score from this year.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Although it's a good question, both of OP's scores are from the new MCAT so the result, at least for OP, is irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad :)

You know Penguine Man, ever since you got accepted you've adopted a sort of holier than thou attitude, but at least your advices have improved marginally.

You know Penguine Man, ever since you got accepted you've adopted a sort of holier than thou attitude, but at least your advices have improved marginally.
That's actually quite insulting. I strongly disagree, I'm just giving OP some advice and being straight forward. Perhaps you should read my posts on the ACOM thread before making judgement calls.

That's actually quite insulting. I strongly disagree, I'm just giving OP some advice and being straight forward. Perhaps you should read my posts on the ACOM thread before making judgement calls.

Penguin Man, I thought you would have thicker skin considering the blubber content of Penguin Men. Surely, you must know it was a friendly jab :)

We're all trying to give OP advice, and I think time is of the most value here.
OP should move on with life and apply to Pod/Opt/Pharm school.

Penguin Man, I thought you would have thicker skin considering the blubber content of Penguin Men. Surely, you must know it was a friendly jab :)

We're all trying to give OP advice, and I think time is of the most value here.
OP should move on with life and apply to Pod/Opt/Pharm school.
Concur unless he can get GPAs to as close to 4.0 as possible.

I'm surprised he isn't at least on probation. The trolling is getting out of hand. He has upgraded to subtle insults at other posters, it won't be long now...

As a last resort, you can probably get into a 1 year SMP at one of the DO schools (NOVA, RVU, KCUMB, LECOM-B). I had a friend with a 3.0/500 mcat get into LECOM-B's SMP. Remember though, this will effectively put your entire potential career as a physician on the line.

Admittedly, when I applied very few schools took your average mcat score. It was more common that your highest was taken out of all of them or your superscore.

OP, the mcat is pretty hard. It's not unusual to do significantly worse on it than you do on your practices if you're not in the same mindset. You may want to work on trying to really get natural and get as close to mcat conditions as possible to make yourself more relaxed during the test.

Have you taken an MCAT prep course? They can be a waste of money, but in some situations they can make all the difference..... If nothing else they can build your confidence. I finally decided to break down and sign up for one ($1599) it really hurt giving out that kind of money, but my scores on practice tests have already gone from 498-500 to 505-507 and its only been a few weeks. They told me my goal should be 515+ (I'll be taking the test in the spring), we'll see what happens...

Have you taken an MCAT prep course? They can be a waste of money, but in some situations they can make all the difference..... If nothing else they can build your confidence. I finally decided to break down and sign up for one ($1599) it really hurt giving out that kind of money, but my scores on practice tests have already gone from 498-500 to 505-507 and its only been a few weeks. They told me my goal should be 515+ (I'll be taking the test in the spring), we'll see what happens...
Which prep company are you using?

Podiatry, Pharmacy, Optometry.
OP would have to study for and take the PCAT for Pharm... OP I would become a pod doc. I actually thought of this when my first score was a 20. You make good money and can apply as is. You wont have to retake that 8 hour beast and can start professional school.