What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plsdoughnut

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! New here and just looking for some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all! New here and just looking for some advice.
My poor grades in undergrad are largely attributed to apathy from transitioning out of the military and having no plan or educational goals. I decided on a major that sounded interesting, and up until this past summer I planned on going back into the military. This past fall was my most challenging, yet best semester grades wise and soon after I made the decision to pursue medicine with everything I had. I am currently finishing up my last semester of undergrad while applying to multiple postbac programs.
Given my stats, do you think this is the best course of action?

• Year in school: Senior (graduating this spring)

• Country/state of residence: USA/NC

• Schools to which you are applying: NCSU, CUSOM, LMU, TUCOM

• Cumulative GPA: 2.66 Environmental science major (upward trend as of last semester)

• Science GPA: 2.78

• Haven't taken MCAT. Taking GRE soon.

• Research – 2 semesters of botany research with 2 grants awarded

• Volunteering (clinical) – 10hrs. and counting

• Physician shadowing – None

• Non-clinical volunteering – very small amount with nature conservancy

• Extracurricular activities – N/A

• Employment history: Veteran, Wildland firefighter

• Immediate family members in medicine? – No

• Specialty of interest – Pediatrics or EM

• Graduate degrees: None

• Interest in rural health: Slight interest

*stole formatting from another post!*

First and foremost, thank you for your service! Second, welcome to the Neuroticism capital of the world (SDN) OP! Here are my personal thoughts/advice based on what you've given.

Go into that post bacc and destroy it. Show them that you've come a long way and have "matured" since undergrad.

Get more clinical volunteering (Good number to shoot for would be around 200 hrs. One 4 hour shift per week for a year will get you there)

Get ~ 40 hrs of shadowing (Mix of MD and DO is fine just be sure to snag some DO time)

Non clinical/ EC- Pursue your interests here looks like you're into botany/nature type stuff so pursue that. Just be able to relate it to medicine when the time comes (Good number here would be 100+)

Research is fine as is.

MCAT- try to snag a 504+ (The higher the better!)

I personally wrecked my GPA a bit too in my community college years due to not having any direction as well. So I can relate to you there OP

Last edited:
Do well in your post pacc for sure. Get some healthcare exposure (physician shadowing) and try to obtain some good LOR's. Also, the most obvious answer nail the MCAT. If you can prove your bad grades were really just from screwing off and not being well prepared, then I would say most places would take note of a strong upward trend as a sign of a serious, and competent candidate. Best of luck. Thank you for your service as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.