What should I do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkcent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
sGPA: 3.70, cGPA:3.65. MCAT 505: 127/125/127/126. Over 1000+ hours research being project leads of two different projects in a flagship hospital and a neurogenetics lab. 1 upcoming poster presentation (maybe publication but it will take another solid year if everything works out with the project). 100+ shadowing, 200+ volunteering with decent leadership, 100ish hours clinical volunteering, some cool ECs like modeling, and chess tutor (but not enough hours only about 50ish for each). Pretty solid PS since I have a unique story/background. I didn't apply DO this cycle and applied to only low tier MD schools. TN resident.

Here's the bummer: 0IIs. I was done with secondaries early August but had issues getting recommendations together since one of the profs took forever so my entire app was done late August (about 8/20 I believe). What should I do planning ahead? I was thinking of retaking MCAT also getting some more clinical experience but idk how well I could focus on it with research, academics, and then a job next semester. I know I should have applied DO, but due to some personal reasons, I thought MD this cycle was the best option. But I am open to DO next cycle if need be. Also wondering if in an off chance I retake and get the same score, will it hurt my chances at DO? I'd also appreciate any tips on what helped during for retake.

EDIT: School List Albany Medical College
Creighton University School of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Drexel University College of Medicine
East TN State U., James H. Quillen Coll. of Med.
Indiana University School of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
Medical College of Wisconsin
Meharry Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of TN Health Science Cntr Coll. of Med.
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin
Wayne State University School of Medicine
West Virginia University School of Medicine
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

The interview season goes until March. U TN interviews 2/3 of TN residents and East TN 1/3 so you will likely receive at least 1 interview instate. Most of your OOS schools are reasonable choices with your stats. Your only weakness is your MCAT so if you need to reapply a MCAT of 508 or higher will help your chances. Your stats are competitive for all DO schools so there is minimal risk in retaking the MCAT from a DO application perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're not African-American, then the app to Meherry was a donation. Ditto those for OOS public schools. I agree with Faha's comments, and strongly suggest that you get more service volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not African-American, then the app to Meherry was a donation. Ditto those for OOS public schools. I agree with Faha's comments, and strongly suggest that you get more service volunteering.
I applied to Meharry since I was a TN resident. The OOS public schools I have like Penn State and UCLA are according to their median MCAT scores from MSAR with about 1% OOS acceptance. Do you recommend taking the MCAT in Jan after a month of intensive studying? Or should I wait until May? I put in a decent effort the first time out, but scored much lower on my actual exam than practice AAMCs :( Thanks so much!

The interview season goes until March. U TN interviews 2/3 of TN residents and East TN 1/3 so you will likely receive at least 1 interview instate. Most of your OOS schools are reasonable choices with your stats. Your only weakness is your MCAT so if you need to reapply a MCAT of 508 or higher will help your chances. Your stats are competitive for all DO schools so there is minimal risk in retaking the MCAT from a DO application perspective.
So just to be sure, there is basically little to no risk in retaking the MCAT for DO. However, I would be in deep trouble if I retook and got a sub 508 for MD.

I applied to Meharry since I was a TN resident. The OOS public schools I have like Penn State and UCLA are according to their median MCAT scores from MSAR with about 1% OOS acceptance. Do you recommend taking the MCAT in Jan after a month of intensive studying? Or should I wait until May? I put in a decent effort the first time out, but scored much lower on my actual exam than practice AAMCs :( Thanks so much!
Take the MCAT only when you're 100% ready.

OOS public schools (of which Penn State is NOT one) favor the home team. Hence, one has to be > avg for them.

So just to be sure, there is basically little to no risk in retaking the MCAT for DO. However, I would be in deep trouble if I retook and got a sub 508 for MD.
You only need a 500 MCAT to be competitive for some DO schools, including LMU-DCOM. 505 and you are competitive for most DO schools.

Believe it or not I was accepted to Meharry the other day as an ORM!

Believe it or not I was accepted to Meharry the other day as an ORM!
OK, details please! Do you have lots of service to URM communities? if not, what do you think your hook was. This is a valuable teaching moment.

EDIT: Note-~10% of the classes at the HBCs are of Asian heritage. But most of the people who apply to these schools here on SDN do so only because they see the lower stats and think "my numbers match theirs!!!"

OK, details please! Do you have lots of service to URM communities? if not, what do you think your hook was. This is a valuable teaching moment.

EDIT: Note-~10% of the classes at the HBCs are of Asian heritage. But most of the people who apply to these schools here on SDN do so only because they see the lower stats and think "my numbers match theirs!!!"

I wouldn't say I have LOTS of service to URM communities, but whatever service I have on my application was geared towards them. I was still finishing up Junior year of college when I applied so up until then I had about 350ish non clinical volunteering hours solely focused to homeless community. I personally felt that I was the best way to make a difference in people's lives. However, I think Meharry places a large emphasis on the Personal Statement. They accepted the fact that they don't have the strongest test takers, but they believe in giving people chances that haven't always had life go their way. My personal statement was phenomenal mostly because I grew up in a poverty stricken area on India then immigrated here, and serving the homeless was my inspiration to do medicine. I definitely don't think they would reject you based solely on race. When I interviewed there the interview class was relatively diverse, and I strongly believe everyone present in the room had to go through socioeconomic hardship and wanted to dedicate their career to URM communities. Also, a large bulk of my application was geared towards research (more so than serving URM communities actually) which they also seem to value and was asked about in my interview.

I wouldn't say I have LOTS of service to URM communities, but whatever service I have on my application was geared towards them. I was still finishing up Junior year of college when I applied so up until then I had about 350ish non clinical volunteering hours solely focused to homeless community. I personally felt that I was the best way to make a difference in people's lives. However, I think Meharry places a large emphasis on the Personal Statement. They accepted the fact that they don't have the strongest test takers, but they believe in giving people chances that haven't always had life go their way. My personal statement was phenomenal mostly because I grew up in a poverty stricken area on India then immigrated here, and serving the homeless was my inspiration to do medicine. I definitely don't think they would reject you based solely on race. When I interviewed there the interview class was relatively diverse, and I strongly believe everyone present in the room had to go through socioeconomic hardship and wanted to dedicate their career to URM communities. Also, a large bulk of my application was geared towards research (more so than serving URM communities actually) which they also seem to value and was asked about in my interview.
Service plus compelling story!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Re-take the MCAT if you are confident you can get a better score. It will only help you. You don't want to be stuck having to reapply a 3rd cycle because of an MCAT score. Definitely consider DO schools, I have had the best experiences applying and interviewing at DO schools. I'm currently at one now and love it! Don't fall for the whole MD/DO debate. It is all going to merge under one accreditation organization in 2020 anyways.

Re-take the MCAT if you are confident you can get a better score. It will only help you. You don't want to be stuck having to reapply a 3rd cycle because of an MCAT score. Definitely consider DO schools, I have had the best experiences applying and interviewing at DO schools. I'm currently at one now and love it! Don't fall for the whole MD/DO debate. It is all going to merge under one accreditation organization in 2020 anyways.
Hwhat?