What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

111uziii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I graduated 2014 and the last mcat I took has expired and I scored really bad on it. I took it twice. Once in 2013 and scored 22 and 2014 scored 17. So after that I was depressed and didn't take it again. I don't know what I am doing wrong?.... back then we only had few practice exams to practice but now I heard they have more material to practice off from.

During those times I couldn't afford mcat class so I self-studied it by myself. But now I am preparing start studying for it again in May and Take it in July.
What do you guys recommend I do differently because I do want to go to med school near my home town and their MCAT average is about 28.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, I graduated 2014 and the last mcat I took has expired and I scored really bad on it. I took it twice. Once in 2013 and scored 22 and 2014 scored 17. So after that I was depressed and didn't take it again. I don't know what I am doing wrong?.... back then we only had few practice exams to practice but now I heard they have more material to practice off from.

During those times I couldn't afford mcat class so I self-studied it by myself. But now I am preparing start studying for it again in May and Take it in July.
What do you guys recommend I do differently because I do want to go to med school near my home town and their MCAT average is about 28.

Are you a native English speaker? If not that could be the core of your issue as this ultimately is a reading comprehension test.

I’m not in a lie OP it will be very difficult for you to overcome those past bad scores. You’re certainely not in a position to bank on getting into the school near your hometown. Just know that going into this process.

When people have several poor mcat performances prior I generally think taking a class is the right idea.

1. Don't assume you'll get into any medical school near anywhere.
2. Buy the AAMC Sample Exam. Take it timed, just like the real MCAT. You'll have an idea of where you're at right now.
3. The MCAT was revamped in 2015 and now uses a scale from 472-528, google your school and see what their new GPA/MCAT averages are, to see if you're even in line anymore. Especially GPA, because if it's low, you'll likely need a post-bacc before you even touch the MCAT, especially now that Psychology and Sociology have been added to the MCAT.