What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted830324

I graduated high school in 2017 and haven’t even started college yet and will be starting in the fall of 2018 at a community college. I’ve thought about nursing, becoming an X Ray Tech, getting a B.S. in Biology and then going to PA school. My math and science background in high school wasn’t anywhere near stellar and I graduated with a 2.5 GPA. This is because I was very unmotivated and lazy. I also don’t have a lot of money so my parents have told me I should do something to get into the job market quickly and not go to school for 8 years. They would like to see me go to medical school but they want me to “stair step” my way into med school. Should I get an Associates Degree In Nursing and be a Nurse for a few years while working on a B.S. In Biology and all the necessary pre reqs for most D.O. schools. I know if I have a chance at getting into a medical school, or would be an osteopathic school. I have also thought about becoming a mid level provider but my gut tells me to become a physician and that I have what it takes to become a physician. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated high school in 2017 and haven’t even started college yet and will be starting in the fall of 2018 at a community college. I’ve thought about nursing, becoming an X Ray Tech, getting a B.S. in Biology and then going to PA school. My math and science background in high school wasn’t anywhere near stellar and I graduated with a 2.5 GPA. This is because I was very unmotivated and lazy. I also don’t have a lot of money so my parents have told me I should do something to get into the job market quickly and not go to school for 8 years. They would like to see me go to medical school but they want me to “stair step” my way into med school. Should I get an Associates Degree In Nursing and be a Nurse for a few years while working on a B.S. In Biology and all the necessary pre reqs for most D.O. schools. I know if I have a chance at getting into a medical school, or would be an osteopathic school. I have also thought about becoming a mid level provider but my gut tells me to become a physician and that I have what it takes to become a physician. What should I do?
First of all, splashing the same post around on 3 or 4 forums is not going to help.

Where you are at right now, the only advice we can give you is do well in school, once you have a years worth of school done, have shown that you can be different than you have been in high school, then we can give you advice academically. Your high school 'record doesn't matter anymore. If you do want to be a physician you have time right now to work on your ECs. Go shadow if you can find a doctor to, make sure this is the right field

The money thing isn't an issue, whatever schooling you do will be paid for somehow. Through loans, grants, etc.

About the community college route, I did that and then transferred to a UC. Nothing wrong with it.

I was like you at one point. Unmotivated, didnt like to study, just barely wanted to get by. Heck even in college, up till about my junior year, I was about a 2.5 gpa student. Then I went through a very bad break up, it hit me then. NO one will feel sorry for you, no one will pay your bills. You got to do it yourself. I got into ECs, open my own organization for the homeless, became president of various clubs, got a pharmacy tech job, became an EMT, got straight A's from junior year into graduation.

Got a masters, did well, got a 3.9, and now im sitting in DO school at the very top of my class. It wasnt easy, it still isnt. It wount be easy for you. But the thing that got it for me was, I couldnt imagine myself being anything else. I wanted to save lives, I wanted people to remember my name that I made a tangible difference in their lives for the better. Ive gone through my own health issues and I came out stronger.

I think you need to first find motivation. Find that reason why you want to medical school. Not for your parents, not for the money, not for the prestige. You need to create your own story. Its not going to come offf of SDN, its not going to come by watching a feel good movie. You need to go through experiences in the healthcare setting see how lives are changed.

As the poster above said, find a healthcare job, or do volunteering, do well in school. Doesnt matter if you go to CC or a Univ, just do well. Prove to others you can handle the academics. Dont do nursing because its for the money, do something where you can actually enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't want to be a nurse, I wouldn't go into nursing. Nursing is customer service on steroids; all of your "customers" are sick and likely miserable and neither you nor them can walk away for an entire 12 hours (assuming inpatient hospital nursing). You're just stuck dealing with each other... gets even better if you work your days in a row and you have 36 hours in one week dealing with the same people who are irritated at having to be in the hospital and take every single thing that goes wrong during the hospitalization, whether your fault or not, out on you. It's deeply exhausting if it's not what you really want to do with your life.

That being said, it is a good, stable career and offers excellent clinical experience. If you think you could possibly enjoy nursing, and be content with a career as a nurse if things don't pan out for you with medical school, then maybe nursing school would be a good first option for you.

Adding to the above advice: you need to transition your thought process towards independence. Thank your parents for their advice, and use it to guide you. Ultimately, YOU have to make the best choices for your life. If you want to be in school for 8 years, then do it.