• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

what should i do

vegangirl

DOctor begins with DO
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Milky Way Galaxy
    ok so recently i got a secondary from msucom and im very excited cuz i grew up in mich and i have heard so many wonderful things about msucom :) however, i been thinkin about moving when i get older (perhaphs to the uk) and i also would like to do doctors without borders. i was just wondering if being a do would impact this decision negatively since i applied to allo schools as well, please help, im very confused with deciding between do vs md. ps, i live the do approach with its focus on preventive medicine but im scared that i would not be able to practice abroad

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
    Moderator Emeritus
    15+ Year Member
    Apr 24, 2002
    wherever I go, there I am
    1. Attending Physician
      You can do international missions/aid with a DO. You can work with doctors without borders. If you want to permanently relocate to another country, some of them make it difficult if not impossible for you to be fully licensed to practice there (but many of the same countries make it just as difficult for foreign MDs)

Please refer to this thread for more specifics.

As far as the UK goes, the info in the link says that you can't practice there as a DO, but that is not true for US trained DOs (the British ones only perform manipulation). I personally know a DO who practiced there.

About the Ads

Anthropic

human
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jun 27, 2004
        It's good to know that DO' s are able to do missionary/aid work overseas. I was worried about that aspect, but not enough to keep me from applying DO and making it my first choice.

Thank you, Dr. Mom

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.