what should i do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calvinahhh88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to get a C- in bio2 or should i get a D and retake the class to get a higher grade? i know i would do better then second time because i didnt put enough time this quarter for this class. I'm kind of stuck so any suggestion? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First off, don't give up and try your best. You never know your grade until you get it (final curves, luck, ect).

Are you applying to DO or MD programs? This is important because DO programs take your BEST grades while MD programs see all your grades. I would never want a D on my transcript but that's my own personal thing, I could care less what medschools think.

I want to go for MD but my bio2 is based on a no curve grade class, thats why i wondering should i just take a D and retake the class for a better grade?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pass it and take uppver division science classes.

I have a chance to get a C- in bio2 or should i get a D and retake the class to get a higher grade? i know i would do better then second time because i didnt put enough time this quarter for this class. I'm kind of stuck so any suggestion? thanks

For allo, both the original and retake grades will be seen. So you are always better off getting the highest grade. A "D" followed by an "A" on retake may end up as a higher average grade than the C-, but adcoms are going to see that D. A C- in a prereq is better, if you are not able to just get a W. As a prior poster suggested, just balance it out in your BCPM by taking more courses. FWIW, if your bio2 is the one with genetics and physio stuff, (mine was) you are going to need to figure out what you are doing wrong because this will both be important on the MCAT, and has a passing familiarity to the kind of stuff you will cover in med school.

Assuming it's too late to drop the course without anyone knowing. It may better suit you to drop the course and take a "W" for withdraw. It won't look great, but it will definitely look better than a C-, or retaking the course.

if ur gonna get a D, I suggest you drop it. Is it possible to pull it up to a B? usually bio finals are like 50% of ur grade.

How can you be so sure you'd bring a D up to an A?

How can you be so sure you'd bring a D up to an A?

I think people rarely get D's in classes (especially prereq classes) because they are dumb. I think most of the time, it's a lack of effort or other factors that are preventing the student from putting enough time into the class. Perhaps the OP is determined to put in more effort the next time around.

I'm with most people here... I think you should get a W. If you're crafty, a W can be explained in a variety of ways--especially if you end up getting an A in the course the next run through. A D or C-... that's harder to explain.