what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rnnpmaybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a nurse in a part time NP program - but i have decided to quit that and pursue my MD...However, I am currently registered for pharmacology this spring. Should I drop it or continue as it will a. help me with my current job and possibly come in handy in med school? It would involve taking about 1500 in Stafford loans... I don't know!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get an A in it, then it won't hurt you, but I think it's motion in the wrong direction for you. A pharm class doesn't get you ready to apply to med school. You need to complete the med school prereqs (NOT the same as the sciences you took in nursing school) and take the MCAT. Your cumulative GPA in all college coursework is averaged, so any shortcomings there need to be addressed.

Best of luck to you.

I was in your EXACT same spot (FNP), and i just dropped out and started on my prerequs, there are a lot of prereques for med school (nursing units don't transfer over) so i would start on your prereques asap.

That was a year ago and a half ago, and due to major focus, and insanity i just finish my last prerequ requirements! (except o-chem lab but its only a 2 unit course next spring). Go gett'em! :)

On a side weird note, if you're a practicing RN like i am while taking the classes i suggest getting a script for ambien... last semester i had to switch to doing charge on the night shift because i had early morning classes and evening MCAT review courses... makes for a really ****ty sleeping habit (10am- around 5pmish) and sleep = one of the main components to success, i think as nurses we also have to show we have science ability so keeping a 4.0 is really key if you want a good allo program (at least that is what my semi anti-nurse premed advisor said, apparently our bio A&P and chem aren't real science courses even though they are taught by chem and biol professors ~ it irked me but i let it motivate me to do well), i showed him and got a 4.0 with two 3A+ for being the top of the class. so make sure you get in your sleep if you attempt to balance work and school! Im done with my requirements and more importantly DONE with nightshift!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... eek now to take the MCAT in jan :scared:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I don't know if I could register for prereqs for next semester this late in the game, and I don't know what I need to take... As in, does my chem class count as CHEM I, or do I need to retake that? and does A&P count as a biology? I read somewhere that it could...I guess I should probably just start at the beginning...

I have a 3.95 in undergrad nsg (a top ten BSN program) and a 4.0 in my first semester of NP program, pretty much with ease, So I know I can handle it:)

I wouldn't take a $1500 pharmacology course b/c it won't get you where you are wanting to go, particularly if it's the nursing school.
I can't tell you 100% if any of your nursing classes transfer to science prerequisites vs. not. Would consider taking general chemistry 1 and 2 (same one the chemistry and/or biology majors in the arts and sciences college take @your university). Definitely you need to take organic chem I and II and physics I and II. Biology I don't know - would talk to the premed advisor @your university (there probably is one, right?). I'm sure you aren't the first student to get an RN and then change course wanting to go to med school.
I'd think that having your RN from a major university, you'd already have enough English and math credits that would count, but I don't actually know what the RN degree requirements are. I'd be interested to learn, though.

Well, I don't know if I could register for prereqs for next semester this late in the game, and I don't know what I need to take... As in, does my chem class count as CHEM I, or do I need to retake that? and does A&P count as a biology? I read somewhere that it could...I guess I should probably just start at the beginning...

I have a 3.95 in undergrad nsg (a top ten BSN program) and a 4.0 in my first semester of NP program, pretty much with ease, So I know I can handle it:)

Nobody cares about "top ten." But that GPA is golden.

Assume that your nursing science classes DON'T count as med school prereqs. A&P is NOT the same as premed bio - it's great extra subject coverage, but it doesn't cover the basics. Fundamentally, the premed prereqs correspond with the topics on the MCAT; don't set yourself up to fail by not taking the right coursework. Look for your school's advising pages on which classes to take if you want to go to med school. You'll see that you need to take:

1 year of bio with labs
1 year of gen chem with labs
1 year of organic chem with labs
1 year of physics with labs

Additional upper division coursework in biochem, genetics, microbiology, immunology, neurobio, anatomy, physio, etc. is also very good to have. The A&P, micro & nutrition for nursing are not upper div, but having these in your background is setting you up to succeed in the prereqs.

Best of luck to you.

nursing prerequs don't count, i have my BSN too and had to take the full year sequence for science majors (not the nursing prerequs)

On the bright side it is a LOT easier especially if you had to take an intro to orgo class for nursing.. a lot of it crossed over for my first semester of Ochem and i got through summer semester with an easy A :thumbup: and most of the basic biol concepts you should remember, except in the year long sequence for science majors we went a lot more indept in molecular portion of biology.