Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by skrilladoc, Dec 22, 2008.

1. skrilladoc

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a 3.3 CUM GPA and a 3.0 BCPM GPA

MCAT is 31.

I have had a few interviews, but have been waitlisted/rejected. How can I make myself a more attractive candidate for admission for my next interviews/reapplication process for Fall 2010.

I do still have a semester left in which I'm taking 18 hours and can get a A in each class.

My E.C.'s/statement are stellar....most likely the reason as to why I am getting interviews.

Should I not graduate and take more classes? I don't know how this process works in order to improve my GPA after graduation.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aznb0y129

aznb0y129 Oh hamburgers!
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Maybe you should focus on what went wrong in those interviews you did have this cycle. Clearly they liked you enough on paper to bring you in but something did not work out for you during the interview itself.

If you are looking to improve your numbers though, you could try to take some upper-level science courses to get your GPA up a little more. You should probably keep the MCAT unless you are positive you will score higher than a 31 this time.

4. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1) Maintain hope. Medical school waitlists do move.

2) In terms of what to do next year, you could either avoid graduating, take more science classes, and get As in all of them to get your GPA up, or just do an SMP (Tulane ACP, EVMS, Georgetown, etc). Both are viable options with your GPA/MCAT. A list of SMPs posted by Dr. Midlife has been stickied at the top of this forum. . If you've been waitlisted make sure you look into Tulane ACP in particular.

3) Whichever option you choose, make sure you have an early, (the day the application comes out) broad app aimed at you state schools and low tier schools. Apply DO next time if you didn't this time.

4) Definitely do some interview skills workshops.

5. bluesmd

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    write LOInterests, really really good ones!!! you don't want to be a reapp!! if you have new activities update the schools that haven't interviewed you yet! good luck, i hope you don't have to go through this again