What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dnovelta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman at UC Davis. Just finished my second quarter, and unfortunately I think I bombed Chem 2B (the second of 3 general chemistry courses). I'm fairly certain that my other classes (math and philosophy) turned out fine, it's just this chemistry score that is very worrying.

I got a B- in Chem 2A, in case you wished to know this.

I'm only guessing here, but I believe I got somewhere around a C- or lower in 2B, the final scores have yet to be released so I can't say for sure.

My question is, if I get a C-, should I stick with it, or request for a lower grade so I can retake the class. I won't go into why I got the C- because frankly, I know I can do better.

I'm so nervous about this because I've wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember.

Seeing as I'm only a freshman, I've yet to accumulate the experience of formally shadowing a doctor.

Also, for what it's worth here is some background about me and medicine.

As a Sophomore in high school I shadowed a vascular surgeon from NYU. He was a fullbright scholar and we were living in Yaounde, Cameroon. He was able to take me on rounds once. Some time later (maybe a month or so) he was able to get me into watch a surgery, up close.

After those experiences I wrote an article about the medical care in Cameroon and was published in the US State Department magazine "State Magazine". It was the 2006 December issue, the article was title "The Price of Life". I'd provide a link to it, but the State Dept. has taken the webpage down, so I can't download it for myself either, although when I do apply to medical school I'd be able to get a hard copy to send in as we've got some at home.

Not sure if the last few bits are entirely relevant, but I suppose it shows my true interest in medicine.

What should I do in regards to my assumed C-?

And even more so, what else should I be looking into? Obviously work on grades and MCAT (when is a good time to start preparing?). What are the kinds of internships/volunteer work/extra circulars medical schools look for?

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just genuinely nervous about not being able to get into medical school because of this C-.

Members don't see this ad.

i've known people to get into med school with C's. its not the end of the world. take the C and try not to get them from here on out (bc the classes will get harder than anything you take fresh.year)

a couple C's won't hurt you but you have to do well the rest of the time meaning mostly A's. you could try to add an extracurricular or two right now by looking into undergraduate research or volunteering a few hours a week at a hospital. however, you really should focus on improving your grades. all this talk of being a doctor is moot if you haven't proven yet you can do what it takes to get good grades. of course, it's understandable that students take a year or two to find adapt to college life, but you need to show an upward trend in terms of your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not stress out over this grade. The transition from high school to college is a struggle for several people, but now that you're getting into the swing of UC Davis, I'm confident you'll pull up your grades in Chemistry. I am finishing up at UC Irvine, and assuming they have the same policies regarding grades, a C- will not let you advance to the next chemistry class. I believe you need a C or better (speaking from my own experience), so if I were you, I would retake the class this quarter and possibly finish up the General Chemistry core in the summer. If it turns out to be a solid C, I would not worry about it, just aim for an A or high B for Chem 2C. If not, I have been told that C- in prereqs doesn't cut it unless you make it up, but that could be wrong (I would look more into this). One low grade will not hurt you - medical schools will average your new grade with the original - but make sure you finish the general chemistry core strong. If it makes you feel any better, I struggled with general chemistry...took Chem 1A three times! D+ first time, C- second time, and finally the third I got an A. Good luck and I hope this helps!

I dont know man. If u really tried in the class and got C then I would forget about medicine. Then there is no guarantee u ll do good in higher level ones either. I would wait couple more semester before I start doing any ECs related to medicine just so I would know I can maintain my GPA. I am not discouraging u. I m just being honest.

Anyways, the fact that your a freshman and u know about this forum shows u have true interest in medicine. I didnt even know about this place until 4 months after I applied to med school lol.

I think this post has little merit. One or two quarters of one class is not an indicator of how you will do overall. If on the other hand, you are in your second semester of organic chemistry and realize you have all Cs or lower in the entire chemistry sequence, I would then take this to heart.

I know the feeling of getting one C (I got one in G-Chem II, after placing out of Chem I with AP chem credit). And, I thought chemistry was my strong subject. I still got an A- in organic chemistry I.

I dont know man. If u really tried in the class and got C then I would forget about medicine. Then there is no guarantee u ll do good in higher level ones either. I would wait couple more semester before I start doing any ECs related to medicine just so I would know I can maintain my GPA. I am not discouraging u. I m just being honest.

Anyways, the fact that your a freshman and u know about this forum shows u have true interest in medicine. I didnt even know about this place until 4 months after I applied to med school lol.