What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cruton9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a BIO major, just graduated this semester with 3.49cum and 3.42sci. (My low was a 3.1 first semester of my junior year but I had an upward trend (3.3, 3.6, 4.0 my remaining semesters) I was hoping to apply when the cycle opens in June but would appreciate any suggestions that will better serve my app. What is the best plan of action for me to take with that GPA? I scored 34+ on the MCAT and believe I have adequately hit the necessary EC's. Thanks for your input!
What is your home state (which I ask to see how lenient any in-state schools might be for you)?
Do you have any As in upper-level Bio and Biochem (to prove your capability in med school-like coursework)?
Have you considered taking additional postbac classes in upper-level Bio and Biochem to raise your BCPM GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I'm a California Resident.
2) With a post bacc, is that something I could do at my undergrad school? 3) Also, are post bacc grades kept separate, or are they classes I take that will be added to my previous GPA?
1) Alas, then there are no lenient in-state schools for you.

2) Yes, if California "rules" allow it.

3) If you take additional undergrad coursework, it is listed under a separate designation named "Postbac" on the AMCAS application (right below senior year grades), but it is included in the cumulative undergrad GPA calculation the same as if you had taken a fifth year of college.

Thank you for your help. I have one last question (maybe 2):
1) I ran the calculations and if I get an A in a 2 credit class then my cum GPA will be at 3.5, how high do you recommend I raise each GPA?
2) Also, I looked at sector9's chances chart for white applicants and I'm close to a 70% chance. If I apply broadly to lower tier school's around the country, do I have a shot, or would I just be wasting money?
1) Generally, i would say, aim for the acceptee averages of 3.67cGPA/3.61BCPM. But another year of full time A-grades wouldn't get you there. Fortunately, it isn't just about the numbers, it's also about trend. Since your GPA took a dive, adcomms need convincing that you are capable of consistent excellent work. Ideally, I'd like to see two more terms of 3.7+ (higher is better), but maybe one more term would do. What is the highest your BCPM could reasonably go to by June 2012? What about by June 2013?

2) Recall that these graphs are based on cGPA and MCAT alone, and do not not take BCPM into account. Of course you have a chance, especially if your ECs are stellar, since your MCAT score is strong. But your chance will be far better with another term of straight As in science on the transcript, folowed by perhaps a fall (2012) update of more similar postbac grades.