What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TiggidyTooth

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone can give some constructive advice, I would be most thankful. First, let me give you my background info. I graduated from a well respected public university in the mid-west with a degree in economics and a GPA of 2.5. I took most of the pre-reqs while in school, mostly B's and C's.

The next 2 years I worked as a research assistant at the scripps research institute and got published in a couple of journals, one of which I was 1st author.

Currently I am in a post-bac year re-taking some pre-reqs as well as pounding through upper division bio courses such as physiology, biochem, and genetics. So far nothing but A's. When I am finished with my post-bac year (in May) I will have 30 credits towards a post-bac GPA. I have good EC's and great LOR's. I will take the MCAT in August.

My question is, what should I do next year? Should I work full-time and keep taking 6 credits each semester before applying? Maybe pursue a master's? I am in a heap of debt so I really can't afford to complete a master's unless there is tuition re-imbursment involved. My pre-med advisor told me that I should be competitive for osteopathic schools by the end of this year, but I have a hard time believing her, given my troubled past and am not inclined to take a big risk by dishing out all that cash and praying.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tooth

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to apply next year, then I would not suggest going the masters route. Many med schools offer acceptances to people still in school CONTINGENT on them completing the program they're enrolled in.

I would say to keep up with the post-bac work, and continue your research position. Some schools will write you off b/c of your undergrad GPA, but other schools are willing to look past that and will focus on your post-bacc work. Keep doing what you're doing and rock the MCAT.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply sweet tea!

I will definately hold off applying to schools until I'm in the last year of the master's program, if I decide to go that route.

So you think that 30 credits of post-bac will be enough? Assuming that I keep taking courses during the application cycle I should be up to 36 credits by the time interviews start rolling around.

Tooth

Members don't see this ad :)
30 credits should be good enough provided that your gpa is good as well. Otherwise, try to have a good time and rock the MCAT. Best of Luck!

Thanks Deviriginator!

So your saying 30 credits of say 3.9 post-bac GPA plus my other outstanding qualities ;) will be enough to overcome my shady past? If so I am beginning to be a little encouraged.

Tooth

I strongly agree with Sweet Tea and thedeVAtor - you must ROCK the MCAT. I too am fighting a crappy undergrad science GPA, and most of the folks I've talked to in Admissions Offices have told me that the MCAT, while it certainly doesn't completely make up for (or erase - darn) my B's and C's, is definitely an indicator of my "current abilities" (I've been out of school for a few years now.)

Shady pasts can most definitely be overcome - good luck to you!

Thanks for the reply fox!

So would you not bother with a master's degree if you were in my position and shoot for the moon?

Tooth

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
If you want to apply next year, then I would not suggest going the masters route. Many med schools offer acceptances to people still in school CONTINGENT on them completing the program they're enrolled in.

is that really true? does anyone have more insight on this.
thanks!

Yep, that's true. Also, your masters grades are figured separately from your undergrad grades, so grad grades tend to be a little bit less helpful.

Good luck!

I hear your pain (or stress). Fortunately I was excepted last year into an allopathic school, but I was worried the entire time I would be rejected. If I was you (which I'm not), this is what I would do. First, continue to take science course and do well. Consider taking graduate classes instead of just post bac. Next, continue to diversify your application. Make sure you have a serious volunteer community service venture to cite on your application. It should extend at least a year, the same with your academic success. One term of good grades doesn't say much, but a full year says your serious and capable. Next, do well on the MCAT. Aim for at least a 30, its really not that hard. Then, no matter what, apply for med school. You can do DO or MD, but don't worry so much you won't get accepted. Once you apply and go through the entire application cycle you will either be accepted or rejected. If accepted great! If not, go to the schools and request a rejection interview to discuss why you did not get accepted. This is often time with the admissions director and will let you know everything you need to apply and be accepted in the future. Sometimes their advice may take more then a year, so be prepared to apply three years in a row. After three years if you don't get accepted (you will) call it quites, medical school is really stressfull and find a life you can be happy with that you wont regret. Good luck! See you in med school! Oh one more thing about the Masters degree, make sure you understand that most medical school require you finish your masters degree program once you start it, you are better off just taking graduate classes independent of a program, or better yet, taking graduate classes at a medical school that allows you to possibly enter medical school the next year if you do well, yes there are programs like this, just check around.