What should I have in my white coat pocket as an intern? (books, charts, food, and ect...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Onion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I will be doing my medicine internship this coming July before my advanced residency next year. What should I have in my white coat pocket as an intern?
Thanks a lot !!!

Members don't see this ad.

I keep it simple- phone, stethoscope, PENS (mission-critical, have >1), papers with current patient info/labs. I feel like you can look anything up that you want to rather than having it weighing down your pockets. But some people like having cards/little books, just see what you like.

Gum. It makes hospital smells marginally better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surgical intern:

Breast pocket: Pens (3), penlight, SurgiLube (for some reason our hospital keeps this in the Pyxis now, so I just carry a few around), phone, bandaids
Left pocket: ACLS charts, surgical log book, stethoscope
Right pocket: Tongue blades, No. 11 blade x2, tape, trauma shears, pager

On morning rounds I also have a shoulder bag packed with wound supplies.

Reactions: 2 users
Surgical intern:

Breast pocket: Pens (3), penlight, SurgiLube (for some reason our hospital keeps this in the Pyxis now, so I just carry a few around), phone, bandaids

Runner up for Atlas right here folks!
My coat weighs a lot too. And I'm just a student.

Surgical intern:

Wait, you don't have walking supply closet, ahem I mean med student following you?

Medicine: 17 different books, a pocket protector with an inexplicable penlight stuck in it, an extra stethoscope in case you forget that you have one around your neck, Tylenol for the headache you're going to get after rounding for six hours straight

Peds: stickers, antibacterial hand gel, four different stuffed animals, a gender neutral doll to show where the bad man touched you, three tabs of Molly to help feign excitement at how cuuuuute the baby is.

General Surgery: tissues for when they make you cry, tissues to wipe the spittle off your face when they yell at you, tissues for your "private time" in the call room because you haven't seen your wife in three week

Psych: diagram showing various concerned looks to use with patients, knitting needles and yarn (because it's not like you'll be doing anything with your hands otherwise), thesaurus to come up with new unintelligible diagnoses ("The patients has a reactive emotive transference disorder with sociobiological contributing undertones.")

Ortho: two 45lb kettle bells for impromptu workouts between cases, a hammer (in case any nails are encountered, which there will be, since pretty much everything is a nail if you look at it long enough), you co-resident's mom's phone number (because you're totally banging her)

Urology: 17 feet of rubber tubing which will be used by noon, several hundred cards that just say "5.5 inches" because every patient will want to know what the average is, Zoloft to help you cope with the fact that this is what your life has become

Ob/Gyn: nose plugs (you know why), a hazmat suit for when you really have to get in there, and all extra room taken up by as many gloves as you can shove in; note that there is no room for your humanity or a sense of humor (those are generally left at the door)

ER: cell phone with pre-programmed numbers for each specialty service who you will call to come take care of all these damn patients, complaint forms to fill out when aforementioned specialty services don't come fast enough, the local "help wanted" ads to contemplate a career change

Anesthesia: drugs (for patients), drugs (for you), clean urine sample surreptitiously taken from a foley on the pediatrics ward (for the hospital administration)

If you get a urine sample, don't get one from a pregnant chick, if you are a dude.

Reactions: 2 users
Ask your uniform department to sew an inner pocket -- good place for hiding a cup of coffee when hospital inspectors are around

Ask your uniform department to sew an inner pocket -- good place for hiding a cup of coffee when hospital inspectors are around

Will the uniform do that for you? Are do you have to take it to your own tailor?

Surgical intern:

I hear you shouldn't put your phone near your heart...it might cause an arrythmia as if all that caffine we drink wasn't goiing to do any harm

I very much like tired said about...
however in all seriousness, phone, pager, two or three pens, PALS/ACLS cards (depending on your specialty), your rounding/sign out list, stethascope and that's about it. Sometimes I'll end up with some extra LP needles in my pocket, but that's after a busy night on call!

Surgical intern:

HOLY CRAPOLA. GET A MED STUDENT. I feel bad for you. Our med students take down dressings and carry supplies.

At all times, I have: Pen, cell phone, point and shoot camera, LIST, PAGER, card with important phone numbers, and that's really about it.

I guess I really am a plastic surgery resident. Nothing is that acute and supplies are always abundant on every floor. I am always perplexed by why medicine resident pockets are always PACKED with papers/printouts/etc in our hospital. Like, seriously, wasn't EHR and ubiquitous computers in every room/floor meant to reduce burdens like that?

EDIT: sometimes I have needle drivers, toothed Adsons, and lidocaine + 25g long needle/syringe.

Phone, pen, rounding report, gum. You need nothing else. Nothing. Don't even wear a white coat, those are sweaty and transmit infections.

No offense, but have you been an intern? Your status says med student.
You will wear the white coat if that is the culture of your program. And you will be thankful for its pockets as a med intern.
I roll my sleeves up to try to decrease grossness.

Will the uniform do that for you? Are do you have to take it to your own tailor?

No, no one will do a goddamn thing for you. I repeat, expect that no one not even a pizza delivery guy you've called to the hospital and paid, will do a goddamn thing for you in the hospital. Except for nurses, but they will not be doing anything for you per se, they will only do the orders you write for patients. Maybe begrudgingly, I might add.

Although sewing in an extra pocket is a great idea if you need a pocket to fit something special like a tablet or ipad, or if the white coat clipboard is something you carry that doesn't fit otherwise. I recommend the white coat clipboard. Or Maxwell's. Or both.

You should carry as much as you can possibly handle if in doubt of what you need. You can always shed layers as you go. The reason the attending and residents look practically naked is because they a) know what they are doing b) know where everything is and c) have you to do everything besides think, which is why they are just running around with nothing but their steths and their brains

I carry:
pocket protector (do not question me on this one, one day something very bad will happen to you if you don't) Maxwell, tongue depressors, pen light, at least 2 pen colors, maybe a highlighter if I'm feeling artistic, NSAID/APAP (you're right Tired about the rounding!), breath mints/gum (ever wonder why so many doctors have halitosis? don't these guys know to brush their teeth? it's coffee breath, you will have it if you don't already after gargling like 5 lattes a day), chapstick or any other little thing like that you can't live 12 hours without in breast pocket

Stethy (get a name tag for it or you'll be sorry one day)
Goggles that are easy to carry, like on a lanyard, unless you wear large rimmed glasses (do not question me on this one, one day, maybe not one day soon, you will either be very glad you took this advice or very sad you didn't, and goggles are only as good as when they are on your face)
Pocket Medicine, IM's field bible
White coat clipboard if that's your thing
Big tuning fork
Sanford guide abx
EKG Pocketguide of some sort if that scares you
ACLS cards
Smartphone with apps like Epocrates, UptoDate, USPTF guidelines or something to help you with clinic, med calc
Scut sheets or however you like to organize your lab values
Important phone/pager numbers list
Pager

Consider a watch, you may not need it to tell time, but sometimes you're lucky that a patient notices you looking at it and gets a hint, it's a great social grace in clinic

I always have some kind of calories at hand, even if it's just a sugar packet from the nurse's lounge
Some residents carry caffeine pills

If your med school didn't facilitate learning to replenish electrolytes, find a little guide, that will be one of your first jobs of the day

Make love to your program's materials, EHR, and pager

Check out my post http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/what-interns-should-know-day-1.1130633/#post-16691602

Reactions: 1 users