What should I know from glycolysis, krebs cycle, ETC, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Panac3a

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Topic

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you know the products of each, glycolysis (2 ATP, 2 pyruvates, 2 NADH, 2 H+ and 2H20), know that it is an anaerobic process, however if oxygen was available it wouldn't hurt. Products from glycolysis can either go to the krebs cycle (if oxygen is available) or fermentation (if oxygen is not). In fermentation pyruvate is converted to ethanol or lactic which is then expelled as waste. The NADH is oxidized back to NAD+ so it can be used in glycolysis. Keep in mind that even though no ATP is made here, fermentation includes glycolysis, so total production of ATP in fermentation is 2 ATPs. Know where glycolysis occurs (cytosol). If oxygen is available products of glycolysis go to the krebs cycle (citric acid cycle). Know that krebs cycle (aerobic respiration) occurs in the matrix of the mitochondria. Products: 1ATP, 3NADH, 1 FADH2 (this is only after 1 cycle. One glucose molecule produces 2 cycles). Total ATP production in Krebs Cycle is 36 ATPs including the 2 from glycolysis. ETC is where the high energy molecules, NADH and FADH2, are broken down to produce energy. Know that the last electron acceptor is oxygen. Total ATP production: 1 molecule of NADH produces 2-3 ATPs, while FADH2 produces only 2. Just make sure you have a general idea of all the process. Keep in mind that ATP is produced in glycolysis and the krebs cycle via substrate level phosphorylation whereas in the ETC its oxidative phosphorylation.

What book(s) are you using for Bio? EK is really good...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
don't joke around like that, someone is going to read your post then memorize the whole thing when you obviously don't need to.
If they memorize everything, they'll do better in medical school, since you'll have to know even more specifics once you're there.

But yes, no need to waste time memorizing everything when you could be doing passages and getting your timing down.

Also, maybe the points of regulation within each process (i.e. neg/pos feedback).

I pretty much just memorize what went into each process, what came out, how much ATP resulted from each (directly or through NADPH/FADH2) and where each one occurred in the cell, e.g cytoplasm or mitchondrial matrix etc.

Definitely know the end products but I also think it's good to get an understanding of each step and what's going on from product 1 to product 2; for example, why is there an aldolase step?.. stuff like that.

It is also nice to memorize the Krebs cycle and the steps in between, such as when oxalacetate is transferred 2 carbons from acetyl CoA to become Cutrate and so on. Have a general understanding of the redox reactions as well.

Make sure you know the products of each, glycolysis (2 ATP, 2 pyruvates, 2 NADH, 2 H+ and 2H20), know that it is an anaerobic process, however if oxygen was available it wouldn't hurt. Products from glycolysis can either go to the krebs cycle (if oxygen is available) or fermentation (if oxygen is not). In fermentation pyruvate is converted to ethanol or lactic which is then expelled as waste. The NADH is oxidized back to NAD+ so it can be used in glycolysis. Keep in mind that even though no ATP is made here, fermentation includes glycolysis, so total production of ATP in fermentation is 2 ATPs. Know where glycolysis occurs (cytosol). If oxygen is available products of glycolysis go to the krebs cycle (citric acid cycle). Know that krebs cycle (aerobic respiration) occurs in the matrix of the mitochondria. Products: 1ATP, 3NADH, 1 FADH2 (this is only after 1 cycle. One glucose molecule produces 2 cycles). Total ATP production in Krebs Cycle is 36 ATPs including the 2 from glycolysis. ETC is where the high energy molecules, NADH and FADH2, are broken down to produce energy. Know that the last electron acceptor is oxygen. Total ATP production: 1 molecule of NADH produces 2-3 ATPs, while FADH2 produces only 2. Just make sure you have a general idea of all the process. Keep in mind that ATP is produced in glycolysis and the krebs cycle via substrate level phosphorylation whereas in the ETC its oxidative phosphorylation.

What book(s) are you using for Bio? EK is really good...
But for example do I need to know the structures of the Krebs Cycle intermediates, or even the Glycolysis intermediates? Or the names and functional groups would suffice?

It really varies between tests. I would say at least be able to recognize structures and points of regulation. Also products and when they occur.

Honestly, I had to know very specifically the names and functions of enzymes for my test.

As terrible as it sounds, I would know everything.

Don't listen to Kaplan's "O just know the big ideas you'll be fine!" No. Like Panda mentioned, they tested very specific concepts.

Reactions: 1 user
I was asked to identify certain structures of various molecules involved in different pathways (trying to be vague here). So yes, focus on the specifics unfortunately.