What should i major in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I major in BioChem, Chem, or Kines to get into pharmacy school?

• I am struggling in Calculus 1 right now, so I don't want to take a lot of math courses.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • If I have to take more math classes I will, but if there is a better option then I rather do that.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

M Grey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
pre-pharmacy

Members don't see this ad.

More than likely Biochemistry is a concentration of a Chemistry degree. It is also more than likely that you will have to take most if not all of the calculus classes to obtain such a degree. I'm sure you know this already, but let me remind you that you don't need a certain degree to get into pharmacy school. You just need to complete the prereqs. If you want a degree but you are more focused on pharmacy school, maybe you should avoid one with so many maths. Also keep in mind that Pharm Schools really only care about your prerequisite science/math gpa, so keep those courses high and you'll be good.

I'll be graduating with a degree in Biology with a Concentration in Molecular Biology and a minor in Chemistry before I go to pharmacy school next fall, God willing. It's like a sister to Biochem, but it's not as difficult and you take less pointless math/science courses that could end up hurting your GPA. You take nearly all of the courses required for pharmacy school, though, so that's a plus. The only negative is that it's not as marketable as a BS in Biochem, but if you are planning to go straight to Pharmacy school and you are a strong candidate, that shouldn't really be a problem.

Good luck pal.

You can major in anything however something related to Chemistry would be the most logical. I know there's a lot of pre-pharm psychology majors. If you don't care I'd go with something Chemistry related, but if there's anything else that interests you, than maybe choose that, or if there's a degree you could put to use on the side of pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest majoring in something other than bio or Chem to help u wig finding a job after u get ur bachelors first. I mean the time between getting into pharmacy and what if u change ur mind down the line. That way u can take the prereqs and also have something to fall back on. It might seem like extra work now to take prereqs and a different major but trust me it's good to have something to fall back on. I did bio and I got into pharmacy and decided not to go that route and now I wish I had a different degree.

Major in whatever you want. Pharm schools don't care about your major, just the prereqs and pcat. A chemistry degree is not going to help you in pharm school bc the advanced courses in a chem degree will not be applicable to pharm school. Major in something you enjoy. Choose something easy because it'll keep your gpa high and make you stand out in the application pool if it's a major that no one else has. Of course, you may not ever use your Linguistics major during your gap year, but your not gonna use a chem degree either. Why? Because you'll probably be working as a pharm tech at a retail pharmacy, which does not require a degree of any sorts. So a history major and a chem major are equally useless in this case. The goal is to get a PharmD. Your bachelor's degree is irrelevant.

Go with bio, biochem or chem if you want a straightforward path. For farsighted or nontraditional pursuits, something that complements the PharmD and something the PharmD doesn't supplant. E.g:

Genetics ('Precision medicine')
Business (Marketing, Management, Entrepreneurship, International Affairs)
Economics
Public Policy
Public Health (BA or BS)
Pharmacology/Toxicology (Lab Research)
Biostatistics (Research and analytics, probably not your forte)
Nutritional science

This is what I'd do, anyway. Think big. Think lateral.