What should I pick to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chandler Scott

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm at a toss up on jobs for next semester. I'm currently an undergraduate student, and work in the deans office at the vet school and I am a vet tech part time for a mobile pet vaccine clinic. I got an interview to work in the small animal ICU for next semester. I've never had ICU/emergency experience and I was wondering if it would be worth quitting one of the jobs I currently have to strengthen my application for vet school?

I'm having a hard time deciding because...
1) Working in the Deans Office has provided me with amazing contacts and I can do a lot of my homework while I'm at work. I just started and love all of the people I work with.
2) I've worked at the mobile pet vaccine clinic for 4 1/2 years now. I would hate to quit and ruin my chances of a LOR from my boss, who is on the board at the vet school I am interested in applying to.

I'll be taking a hard course load next semester and do not want to have 3 jobs. I have a dog, I'm in a sorority, I'm in 2 research groups and I intern for a local wildlife center....It'll be too much for me. Can someone give me advice or what they would do?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you would "ruin" your chances for an LOR if you just explain to them that you need to diversify your experience (and of course, thank them profusely for the opportunity). I mean heck, you've been a loyal volunteer for years. I can't imagine why they wouldn't write you one.

If someone was a great volunteer and worked with me for so long, I would completely understand them wanting to branch out and would happily still write them a letter. We understand the necessity of having different experiences and only a jerk would judge you for it after you've spent so much time with them.

Reactions: 3 users
I think if you give proper notice at your vaccine clinic job and explain that you've been given an amazing opportunity that aligns with your future goals, I don't see any reason they wouldn't write you a good LOR. Most (reasonable) people understand that employees occasionally have to move on, and most don't hold it against people. And if they do seem weird despite you leaving politely & amicably & professionally, that's a BIG red flag as to their character and professionalism. I wouldn't sweat it! Go for that ICU job, that's excellent experience!

Reactions: 1 user
If you are worried about the reference and have a strong relationship with the individual at the vaccine clinic who would write you a reference, I would suggest bringing it up with them and asking what they think. Ask them what they think of it in terms of what kind of opportunity it is for you, and if they think it would benefit your career goals. If they are a mentor to you, they will give you an honest opinion outside of their personal preference of keeping you on as an employee/volunteer. If it would hurt your reference to leave, you would most likely get the sense of that during that conversation.

I had this exact type of conversation with my boss in the spring when I applied for an amazing opportunity for this past summer. Although he was sad that he might lose me, he told me that it was what he thought was best for my future career and wholeheartedly encouraged me to go ahead with it. The fact that I discussed it with him and wanted his opinion ahead of deciding whether or not to do it meant a lot to him and he told me as much. I ended up not getting the position, but even if I had I guarantee I still would have gotten a wonderful reference from him the next fall if I had needed it.

Open communication makes life a lot easier, providing the people you are communicating with are sane and grounded. :)

Reactions: 2 users