What should I study over Winter Break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharklasers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking try to read HY Anatomy, HY Neuroanatomy, and Kaplan Biochemistry, a week each.

Or should I do general UWorld questions from first semester of second year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We have two weeks, I'm planning on HY Neuroanatomy and trying to do Kaplan Qbank questions (supplied by the school as part of our tuition) for the systems we've finished in the fall.

You should do something that you hate or are not good at.

Do not study something you enjoy or are good at. If you are going to study over winter break (and that decision is up to you; don't ask anyone else if you should or shouldn't), you should use that valuable and uninterrupted time to review a subject you aren't confident with. I saw too often (myself included) that people only wanted to study things they liked or were good at and neglected things they didn't like or weren't comfortable with because it was easier and made them feel better. DON'T DO THAT.

Make a list of your top 3 worst subjects. Tackle #1 first, and if you finish that, work your way down the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice!

Anatomy is by far my worst, but I don't know if it is even worth looking at anatomy over something else.

I do enjoy physio, so maybe I'll put that off for later. However, I'm sure this would help a lot for second semester of M2, bc thats when we do endocrine, renal, cardio, and pulm pathology.

I was a biochemistry major, and although I don't remember much, but I am generally pretty good at it.

Neuroanatomy... I'm not sure how good I feel about this.

1) Anatomy
2) Phyio

Those are two big ones. Maybe I'll try to tackle Neuroanatomy and Biochemistry over Spring break.

Other advice I have read says to leave anatomy and biochemistry for dedicated study time, since it is so detail oriented.

Thoughts on this?

Leave biochem for later. You'll most likely forget all of the pathways and the details again anyways. I'd suggest reading BRS Physio over winter break. Physio is very high-yield, and it'll help you with the rest of M2. BRS Physio is an easy read and it should only take a few days.